Chapter 26: Lost Boy

Start from the beginning

"Hey, you did so amazing," I gushed.

"Thanks," Leo breathed, now in a fresh pair of clothes and out of the shower. His hair was still wet and I ran my fingers through it affectionately. "Well, I've got to get to work now."

I frowned as he rushed past me, us starting to drift apart with how often he was at his job. I think he even took up extra hours whenever he got the chance. Sometimes I went over to his house just to spend time with Irmelin, since we were so close.

"He's just so busy all the time. I miss him," I said sadly as I sat on their sofa. "At first it wasn't bad, but now..."

"Don't worry. I'm sure you two will have the whole summer together. Leo still loves you very much," his mom expressed.

"I don't doubt that he loves me. I just wish it was like it was in the fall and winter between us. I miss Christmas and jumping in leaves, but especially Christmas."

"Yes, Christmas was a very special time for all of us." I looked up at her as she gave me a warm smile. "It was the first time you truly felt like a part of our family. I'm so happy and blessed that my son has found someone as wonderful as you. I love you just like a daughter."

"I love you too, Irmelin. You're like a second mom to me." I felt I could cry from knowing how much I meant to Leo and her.

"Well, I'm glad you're close with me too," she reacted, a few tears falling as she gave me a brief hug.

"I'm glad you were able to meet my parents the other night," I told Leo as we swayed together at prom. I was decked out in a sleek, purple dress, but it didn't feel very magical in the dimly lit room.

"Yeah, I'm glad I met them too. They're both great," Leo expressed, me nodding slightly as I pressed my mouth against the front of his shoulder.

"I miss you. It feels like it's been months since we went on a date and you weren't tired, or I stayed over at your house."

"I know, but I have to save up this money."

"I wish you could tell me why."

"I wish I could too, but you'll find out soon. I just don't want to jinx anything."

"It's funny how it feels like we're the only two here. We're literally surrounded by couples."

"Yeah, I guess everyone feels that way on prom night."

"I guess," I softly responded, wondering why he was generalizing our special feelings.

LEO'S POV:

I felt bad the way I had been treating Alyssa. I promised things would get better over the summer, and they just got worse. I was working full time, so I had her stay the night a lot, so we could at least cuddle before bed and talk. I was counting down the days until the local fair, hoping everything would be perfect by then. Finally the day arrived, but my mom wanted to have a little talk with me.

"Leo, I can't stand by and watch you treat Alyssa like this. I understand you're saving up your money, but she's your girlfriend, and I think she doesn't feel loved like she did in the beginning..." She ceased talking though when I showed her what I had bought.

"Do you think she'll like it? I know I've been a jerk, Mom, but I wanted this for her so badly. I knew there was no way I would have time to earn the money once we started college. I know college work is harder than high school."

"Are you sure about this? I just never thought you would be ready this soon, with everything that's happened."

"I didn't either, but it's different with Alyssa. I'm hoping this day and the future ones will make up for the past months."