Ch 4 - One Hell of an Entrance

Start from the beginning

"Got you some goodies, you know, to make up for getting shot." He teased once he got back into the truck and we were pulling out of our hiding spot and onto the main road. "How's the leg?"

"Bullet's stuck, so I'm not going to bleed out before we get to Delacroix if that's what you're asking." He laughed. I opened the jar of moonshine and took a few big gulps.

"Might wanna go easy on that, kid. We're already going to be late to the party as it is. Arriving drunk and shot will not endear your grandfather to you." I laughed, throwing back the pills he offered me.

"I don't give a shit anymore." He shrugged, smiling at me.

When we pulled into the gated drive of the compound, the guard in the guardhouse made sure to flash us his gun as he walked up to the driver's window.

"I think you're lost, sir. You need to-"

"Shut the fuck up and let us in already. I'm late as it is." I slurred loudly from the passenger seat. He bent slightly to look across Emeril to me, his eyes going wide when he saw me. "Today, dickhead."

"Yes, ma'am, Miss Sierra." He hurried back to his post, talking into the walkie he grabbed from inside the guardhouse as he opened the gate for us.

"What time is it?" I asked, having checked my phone and saw it was dead.

"One thirty."

"Fuck." That was so far past eleven, I knew the bullet in my leg was my only saving grace. "At least they won't yell at me with a bullet in my leg, right?" He was still laughing as we pulled into the circular drive of the mansion. To the left of the drive, Grandpa Sal had a large tent and tables set up. And the entire family was sitting, watching us. They knew it was me, because of the guard. But they couldn't see me yet, thankfully. I doubt they'd still be seated if they could.

"Now or never, kid." Emeril started, offering me the half-empty jar of moonshine. I took it as I threw my door open. Emeril was there a second later, helping me down from the SUV. "Want me to carry you?"

"Hell no. I'm not some damsel in distress." He wrapped his arm around my waist so I could use him as a crutch, chuckling under his breath when I threw the door shut harder than necessary. "I'm this late, I'd better have a damn good excuse.". He supported my weight as we slowly walked across the driveway and onto the grass. My entire family was watching now, some standing in what looked like shock. It was hard to miss who I was – my head full of red curls stood out.

"Gonzalo would have a field day out here." I glanced around the grounds, trying to see it for the first time again.

"Shouldn't have worn shorts today." I joked as we got close enough that everyone could see the blood trailing down my thigh. It had painted my skin like a Halloween prop, trickling down into my sock. "Hello, family. You weren't waiting on me, were you?" I slurred loudly, causing a few of them to laugh despite the look on Grandpa Sal's face. He was standing, his glare focused on the medic who was running down the front steps towards us. Probably not moving fast enough for the old man.

"Sierra." Mom gasped when I finally made it over to where she was sitting with Dad and Uncle Markos at a table with Marco, Sal, Hector and Giovanni. I sunk into the chair Sal vacated, smirking at him when he crouched down to get a look at my thigh.

"What?" I demanded, glaring up at Grandpa Sal when he calmly walked over once the medic had fished the bullet out and was stitching me up. Two men I'd never met before were with him, one his age and one mine.

"You're not only late, postponing the meal for everyone else, but you arrive bleeding and drunk." Grandpa Sal started, that reprimanding tone in his voice told me he wasn't pleased. "Your mother has fainted."