Homeless Harry au - Part 1

Start from the beginning

"But—" Louis was about to protest, but was surprised when Harry interrupted him.

"I-it's okay, Louis. Barbara's right. I can't ask you to break the rules for me and risk ruining it for everyone else." And wow, Louis didn't even know that Harry remembered his name. Of course, he had introduced himself to the boy before but they hadn't spoken often enough that Louis was sure he would remember it. There was something about hearing the syllables roll off of Harry's tongue that made Louis feel warm inside though and— stop it Louis, he thought to himself, Now's not the time to get distracted.

"Harry, it's below freezing out there, though. Barbara, please." He protested.

"It's okay, Louis. I-I'll be okay." Even as the words left his mouth Harry didn't seem too convinced that he would be okay. His eyes were still misty with tears, and he appeared to be shaking slightly. "I better be going then. Sorry for the inconvenience."

"I truly am sorry, Harry." Barbara replied, "Why don't you try the other shelter on the other side of town."

"But that's over an hour away by walking!" Louis replied, a bit louder than he intended. "He'll never make it, especially not when it's this bloody cold out."

"Louis," Barbara gave him a pointed look.

"It's okay, thank you for the suggestion. I'll try there." Harry gave a sad smile. "I better be going now, thanks again."

Before Louis could protest, Harry had turned on his heel and walked out of the door of the shelter, onto the cold street.

Louis sighed dejectedly, before moving to sign out, grab his jacket and keys, and sulk home. He knew he couldn't ask Harry to stay with him because that was also against the rules, but he desperately wanted to run after Harry and take him somewhere warm and safe.

After about another 20 minutes of tidying and a quick goodbye to Barbara, Louis was out the door and making the quick walk to his car in the car park round back. Even in the 30 seconds it took him to reach it, he was already bloody freezing under his thick winter coat. He can't imagine how Harry must be feeling in nothing but his torn jeans and jumpers.

He sighs as he starts his car, driving down the road towards his small home. On the way there he passes a park, and if it weren't for the red light he was stopped at, he wouldn't have even taken a second glance at it. Upon further inspection, however, Louis sees a figure curled into themself on the bench, seemingly shaking in the cold. It couldn't be, Louis thinks to himself as he pulls over and jumps out of his car.

As he approaches, he recognizes the poor boy on the bench to be none other than Harry, who is hugging himself and sobbing violently. Louis' heart breaks again.

"Harry?" he says softly as he nears the bench. Harry's head snaps up, hands scrubbing the tears off of his face.

"Louis?" Harry croaks out once he identifies the figure before him. "W-what are you doing here?"

"I was just driving home and I happened to see you out here. Are you alright?"

"Yeah, m'okay. Thank you for trying to help me earlier."

"It's okay, I just wish I could have done more to help."

"It's okay," Harry smiles sadly at the ground. "I'll be okay."

"Will you though?" Louis returns, and Harry just sighs, looking at the ground with cloudy eyes. "You're shaking, love."

Harry blushes at the pet name. "It's cold."

"Where are you going to sleep tonight?" Louis asks.

Harry looks around before turning back to Louis and shrugging. "Here, I suppose." A few tears slip from Harry's eyes as a whimper escapes his lips.

"Oh, love. May I give you a hug?"

"Yes please," Harry struggles to reply, trying desperately to hold in the sobs threatening to escape his lips. Louis immediately moves to sit next to Harry, wrapping his arms tightly around his shaking frame.

"Come home with me." Louis blurts out, heart hurting from seeing Harry so scared and cold and upset.

Harry's head snaps up immediately. "N-no I couldn't, Louis. I can't. I won't."

"Why not?"

"I can't impose like that, Louis." Harry whimpers. "You barely know me, why are you being so nice to me?"

"You're not imposing, Haz," Louis lets the nickname slip past his lips. "Plus, wouldn't you do the same if you were in my position?"

Harry sighs. The truth is he would, but this is different, he decides. "I— I can't," he cries.

"Harry please? I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing I left you out here in the cold. Please I just want to know you're somewhere safe for the night."

"But— but why? I'm just a— worthless homeless kid. Why don't you just leave me here." Harry sobs violently.

"Harry," Louis gasps, heartbroken even further. "You're absolutely not worthless, love. Don't ever say that about yourself. I know I may not know you very well, but I've seen enough to know that you're easily one of the kindest people I've ever met, and no one deserves to be in the situation you're in. So, please? Let me help you?"

Harry's tears picked up slightly at the sound of Louis' compliment. As much as Louis thought he had finally convinced Harry to go with him, it turns out Harry is stubborn. "N-no. I'll go to the other shelter if it brings you peace of mind but— thank you so much for your kindness b-but, I can't accept your offer. I'd feel too terrible."

Louis sighed. "How about we make a deal? I'll drive you to the other shelter, cause it's far too long of a walk, and if it's full you come home with me. I have a spare bedroom with its own bathroom and everything."

Harry seemed to be in deep thought for a moment, bottom lip caught between his teeth as he weighed the pros and cons of each scenario in his head. Louis thought it was incredibly cute. No, Louis, No, he thought to himself.

Finally, Harry sighed. "Okay. Yeah, okay. Thank you, Louis."

Louis smiles brightly, momentarily not being able to contain his excitement. "Yes! Alright then. C'mon up you get. I've got a spare blanket in the backseat and I'll crank the heat so you'll be nice and toasty."

By now, Harry's tears had mostly stopped. "Thank you so much, Lou. Really."

Louis blushed at the nickname. "Of course, Love." And Louis watched as Harry's cheeks turned an even darker scarlet.