CHAPTER 38

6 YEARS LATER |

"Sir, here are the records from the last week's case."

"This is supposed to be reviewed first by Lee Jeno's team," Donghyuck said when he checked the papers.

"About that, sir Jeno told me to give this to you at once."

Donghyuck looked at his assistant.

"He said it's your time to cover some work for him. He took a day off for his anniversary."

"Anniversary," he deadpanned.

The assistant just remained with a smile.

Donghyuck sighed and checked his wristwatch, then at the records in front of him, then back to the intern.

"Alright, but can you do me a favor and pick up my daughter at school? You know where and who, right?"

"Eunjoo-ssi, yes"

"Okay, good, and please drive safely. You can buy her her usual garlic bread on the way. Oh, and one iced Americano, please. You can buy for yourself too," Donghyuck continuously said and handed his credit card.

"Rest assured, sir Lee." The intern bowed and walked out of the office.

Shutting his eyes and throwing his head back, Donghyuck can just hope that his dear daughter won't say anything about not picking her up from school personally.

Clearly, they took turns driving Eunjoo to school back and forth. But this recent case of theirs is heavier than expected.

Oh, and covering work for Jeno? It had already become usual for them.

It's just supposed to help each other in times of trouble, but it later became a childish favor.

The clock ticked loudly in the cold, silent room, his eyeglasses settling above his nose as he continuously wrote strong and important notes.

After a few more minutes, Donghyuck heard faint rustles and footsteps outside the door.

Actually, the walls are thick enough to secure the confidential conversations inside, but by the volume of his dear 4-year-old daughter, of course Donghyuck could hear.

"Papa, I got stars!" Eunjoo exclaimed, and Donghyuck doubts if he's hearing his daughter or his sister.

"Sshhh, baby, your papa is working." The intern tried to chase her, but clearly he failed.

"It's okay," Donghyuck smiled at him and beckoned the child near him, "Let papa see."

Eunjoo immediately ran to the man while raising her arm, proudly showing the five full stars stamped on it.

"Wow, did my princess top the recitation again?" Donghyuck softly said while carrying her to his lap.