Regrets

Dark, Darker, yet darker. The darkness keeps growing, the shadows cutting deeper. Photon readings negative. This next experiment seems very, very interesting... what do you two think?

The darkness was constricting as Frisk walked along, and yet the space was so vast and empty that they could hear the wind howling around them. It was uncomfortable. It was unsettling. It was everything Frisk knew Sans was hiding. They had finally gotten the key to his room after working so unbelievably hard for his trust, and this was their reward. This final secret, this dark and restricted place that clearly wasn't his room, and it only added to the puzzle that was Sans... now if only they knew the way out. Frisk picked up their pace, hoping that the end was coming soon. Only, it seemed not. It went on and on, and now they could feel eyes watching them, and as cool as this was, now they wanted to talk to Sans, but they had to get out first. What if they couldn't? What if this was their punishment for THAT reset? The panic set in, and Frisk started sprinting forward, hoping and praying that it wasn't true.

⚫️⚫️⚫️

The light flicked on suddenly, making Frisk gasp and flinch away. "ARE YOU USING THE TREADMILL IN THE DARK?" Frisk looked at the youngest skeleton brother with wide, scared eyes. He seemed to take note before crossing his arms with an annoyed frown. "IS SANS PRANKING YOU ACROSS SPACE AND TIME? I HATE WHEN HE DOES THAT!" Papyrus screeched before turning and leaving the room with a final, "HOW IMMATURE CAN YOU GET???" Frisk took a proper look around the room, and at the apparent treadmill they had been on. Thank the stars Sans gave them mercy... There wasn't too much to look at. The room was something they expected from the lazy skeleton. A mattress with sheets balled up, a dresser with a lamp on it, dirty socks scattered everywhere, and a tornado filled with trash. Frisk took a moment on the treadmill to calm their racing heart from that terrifying but necessary experience. What was that place? Did it tie into the basement somehow? Or how they ended up in Snowdin from out of nowhere? What about Sans' ability to teleport? Or the man behind the grey door? Frisk took a deep, slow breath and headed out of Sans room to find him.

⚫️⚫️⚫️

The skeleton was predictably on the couch, lounging lazily with his sockets closed when Frisk came down. Papyrus was presumably outside doing what Papyrus did best. "S-Sans..?" Frisk called in a small voice. Sans cracked open a socket to look at them, his expression was amused, but quickly changed at the determined expression they gave him. Sans heaved a low sigh, seeming to mentally prepare himself before he wiggled up and patted the couch for Frisk to sit at. They happily took his invention after that fun nerve-wracking experience and looked up at him expectantly. "i take it you went in? i know my room ain't much, but at least your curiosity is sated, right?" Frisk hesitated, then shook their head. "I... don't understand, Sans. What was that dark place? Why do you have teleporting powers, but not Papyrus? Can you tell me your story so I can finally help you?" Make my actions up to you? Sans blinked slowly, tensing ever so slightly. "you're a kid. it's not your problem to help me with my issues..." Sans ruffled their hair with a grin. "you be a kid, kid."

⚫️⚫️⚫️

After that, Sans went to Grillby's, leaving Frisk alone to their thoughts. They decided to try to think, gather everything they had found throughout the resets and try to line it up. The shopkeeper had said Sans and Papyrus just showed up one day which Frisk knew was iffy evidence to something big going on with the skeletons. There was the entry in the lab made of symbols and the mystery man behind the grey door who used the same symbols to speak. Riverperson also warned them about this man. There was the mysterious grey monsters. The DT Extraction machine, the lab in the basement, the machine in that lab... Sans blasters. It seemed Sans had a connection to him. Then there was Sans teleport ability and his awareness of the resets. The dark place Frisk ended up at in Sans room not even a hour ago. It all tied together, Frisk knew it. There was a story there, waiting to be told. Of course Sans didn't trust them, they killed his brother. Frisk sighed and curled up to try and get some sleep. All this thinking was making their head hurt.

⚫️⚫️⚫️

Frisk woke up all tucked into Papyrus bed. The sentiment would've been nice if they hadn't woken up from a nightmare. They could never forget the blood of their hands, how they almost destroyed everything and because why? They thought they were above the consequences? Frisk wriggled out of their cacoon before leaving the room. Papyrus was downstairs watching Mettaton with rapt attention and Sans... was waiting for them? Just outside his room? "hey kid... nap well?" Frisk thought to tell him yes, they slept amazing, but his searching and concerned expression had them rethinking things. "I had a nightmare..." They mumbled. "about the..." They nodded slowly and Sans sighed and shuffled over to give them a hug. "what's been done is done now, its in the past... and i know it don't change anything, but i know you've been working really hard to change..." He looked down at his brother before looking at Frisk once more. "that's why i changed my mind. i'll tell you the story." Frisk looked up with wide eyes. "Really?!" Sans led them into his room to sit on the mattress. "yeah, really. now, get comfortable, this is a long one. this is the story of a skeleton's decent into madness..."