Chapter 1

CW: Nothing??? I think??? Mentions of death/killing maybe??

"Ro! Dude, wake up! It's time for school, little brother."

Roman closed his eyes tighter, wishing that he could just bury his face into his pillow and ignore his brother. But something was wrong.

Roman's eyes slowly blinked open, and he could have sworn that he saw Marco, in that familiar green jacket that resembled his own red one. But then Marco leaned forward into better focus, and Roman realized that it wasn't Marco shaking him awake at all, but Apple, the bartender. And it wasn't his soft pillow that he was drooling on, but the sleeve of his jacket.

"Hello? Sir, your phone is ringing." Apple pointed to Roman's phone, vibrating on the wooden surface of the bar, with "Tommy Boy" as the caller ID. Roman picked up his phone, and Apple walked away to tend to their other customers.

Roman scratched at his months-old stubble, debating whether or not to pick up. Eventually, he did.

"Hey, Ro! How's it going?" Thomas's bright voice ringing through the phone speaker. Roman winced at the pain shooting through his head, and quickly turned the volume down.

"Fine."

"That's...great to hear, buddy. Hey, could I talk to Patton or Logan?" Thomas couldn't help but be concerned for his friend who did not, in fact, sound "fine".

"If you have a new mission for us, you can just tell me."

"Yeah, but you don't...you don't sound so hot buddy. I get it, we all have one of those days. So maybe just pass the phone over?"

"What's that supposed to mean?" Roman's voice raised a bit.

"Nothing. Um, there's been some weird activity over in Oregon. Some town called Jacksonville."

"Jacksonville, Florida?"

"No, Oregon. Anyway, I got in touch with some other hunters there, they said it smells like demons. Said they don't want to go anywhere near it. Thought you guys might be interested."

Roman's ears perked up at the mention of demons.

"You said Jacksonville, Oregon?" Distracted by a sudden itching in his palms, Roman struggled to pay attention to what Thomas was saying.

"Yes. Could I please talk to Patton or Logan now?" Thomas was beginning to sound impatient.

"Can't. I split up with Patts and Specs months ago." Roman waved Apple over to ask for the check for his drinks.

"You- what?" Thomas sounded stunned.

"Thanks for the mission, Thomas." Roman said before hanging up abruptly and leaving the bar.

About an hour later, Roman was on the road and heading towards Jacksonville, Oregon when his phone rang again; this time it was Patton. Roman sighed and let it ring for a bit before his resolve crumbled and he picked up the phone.

"Hello?"

"Roman, where are you?" Patton sounded angry.

"In my car."

"You know what I mean! How can you just-" Patton stopped himself abruptly.

"Thomas told us about the case too. I know why you took it." Patton said gently. Roman's shoulders inadvertently stiffened up

"What do you mean by that?" Roman's voice took on a dangerously low tone.

"I just- Roman, if this is about Virgil-" Patton started.