( nine ) of course you know where it is.

Start from the beginning

Mackenzie sat forwards in her seat. "Little harsh, Rob."

Lucas nodded in agreement. "Maybe we don't put it like that."

"We're one step closer to finding Vecna," Nancy voiced. "That's what we say. That's what's important."

"See, Robin?" Steve began, eating another Pringle. "Positive spin can make all the difference."

"Uh-huh," Robin responded.

"Oh shit," Nancy commented.

Mackenzie looked ahead, and she swore her heart dropped to her stomach. Surrounding Reefer Rick's house was a whole bunch of police cars, police barricades, and people that had shown up. A new crime scene.

Nancy parked the car, and the group of seven all got out of the car. They stood there for a moment and looked at the center of attention, which was Officer Callahan and Chief Powell standing in front of the camera for the news.

"Come on, this way," Nancy encouraged.

She led them behind the news van and over to the yellow crime scene tape. They all stood around. Mackenzie peered at the Chief, listening into what he was saying.

"As many of you know may know by now, the Roane County line received a call a little after midnight, reporting a homicide out here on the lake," Chief Powell reported, and Mackenzie shoved her hands into the pockets of her jeans to hide how badly they were shaking. "Officer Callahan here and myself arrived first on the scene. We made our way to the shore of Lover's Lake, about ten yards from that house you see behind me. It was there that we found the victim, an eighteen-year-old senior from Hawkins High, Patrick McKinney."

Mackenzie's eyes widened and the world seemed to stop turning. Patrick. He was one of the nicer basketball boys, and a really good guy from what Lucas had told her. She sneaked a glance over at Lucas. He seemed completely dumbfounded and a little bit crushed. Mackenzie took one hand out of her pocket and took his in hers. Lucas gripped it back tight, like it was the only thing grounding himself.

"His limbs, his body, it was disfigured," Chief Powell continued. "There was an eyewitness on the scene. We've also identified a person of interest." He held up a picture of Eddie. "Eddie Munson."

Mackenzie let out a deep breath. This was even worse for Eddie, considering this was the last place he was. He always just seemed to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. She had started to wonder if Vecna had a personal vendetta against Eddie.

"We encourage anyone with information to please come forward."

"Oh man," Steve let out quietly. "This is not good. This is really not good."

"You've got a lot of questions, and I'm going to answer as many as I can," Chief Powell announced. "Two o'clock at town hall, where anyone from the Hawkins community is welcome. But right now, I've got some work to do, and I appreciate your understanding."

He turned around and walked off, ignoring the questions from everyone behind him. Mackenzie could feel herself getting a headache. This was all just too much.

"Dustin, can you hear me?" Eddie's voice rang out from Dustin's Walkie. "Tate?"

Dustin pulled out his Walkie from his backpack. "Eddie, holy shit. Are you okay?"