Janis is reminded of her power as soon as she steps foot into the halls. Her so called teammates shoving her against the lockers, the girls Regina wouldn't even wipe her shoes with looking in disgust at her clothes and hair and makeup. Like their opinions matter.

But Janis has been through worse. And she knows she'll make it through this.

Just two more years.

————-

"Oh!" Damian says around a mouthful of his tuna sandwich at lunch. "You'll never guess who was at tryouts yesterday."

"Dolly Parton."

"Oh my god, I wish," Damian sighs dramatically. "But no."

"Jolene," Janis says. A glare is her only response. "I give up, who?" she sighs. She's really not in the mood for this sort of thing today, but she'll always humor Damian.

"Your little crush. Her name is Cady, by the way." Damian says.

"She's not my crush!"

"You were totally ogling her the first day!" Damian retaliates. "Not that I blame you. Little slice like that."

"So was she any good?" Janis asks, attempting to steer the conversation away from any hint of crushes.

"Yes, oh my god she's incredible," Damian says, dramatically reaching across the table. "She can do all this crazy tumbling stuff, she's been practicing since she was really little. She didn't even need mats, coach just asked her to show some stuff and she tumbled from one end of the gym to the other. She's our head flyer this year."

"Yeah, I'm sure Regina isn't biased at all," Janis huffs, peeking around him to the Plastics table. Cady is sitting there looking very tense, but smiling and nodding along with the other three. "But if she's good enough then I guess it's not so bad."

"Just wait," Damian says. "It's crazy. She's like one of those wind up toys."

"I'll have to see for myself," Janis chuckles. "Can I have your pickle?"

"Paws off, pickle whore," Damian says, batting her hands away. "Mine."

Janis grabs it anyway and takes a bite, grinning mischievously. "Ours."

"You're so mean to me."

————-

There are three decent places in school, according to Janis.

The art room, which has always been Janis' safe haven. Everyone in there knows her. They're on her side. None of Regina's little cronies.

The gym. Specifically, for football practices. Damian was right, most of her teammates suck. They're merciless, and they don't listen, and think that she's incapable. But she's found an... acquaintance, in Aaron Samuels. And she always gets to work on tackling. Sometimes getting her rage out is extra fun.

She likes to think her old therapist would be proud. Probably not, but she can dream.

The last place, surprisingly, is her chemistry class. The work doesn't necessarily come easy to her. At least not as easily as it does to Damian. But it's interesting stuff, and right after lunch, which makes it easier to focus on.

Or it would be, if not for a certain girl.

Janis doesn't even know her name. All she knows is that she sits directly in front of her. That she has the most beautiful auburn curls which are apparently totally natural. That she's absolutely brilliant.

Oh, and that she's Regina's latest prized catch.

It would be almost perfect if not for that. None of the other Plastics are in their chemistry class, nobody who reports to them. It's a perfect haven. If only Regina hadn't gotten to her first.