Louisa couldn't believe Maria was hugging her, but it was so comforting. She hadn't felt like she had an adult on her side in years, and to have one who understood was another thing entirely. This didn't mean everything was fine and dandy, but it was a step in the right direction.

"Thank you." Louisa pulled away and sniffed.

"Anytime," Maria smiled, "Now you better go clean up, we can't have you going soft on us." Maria teased and the girl chuckled and walked away to go wash her face.

Maria began her hunt for Brigitta once again. As she passed the linen closet, the next door was Georg's study, then the little library room.

As she passed the room that smelled like her friend through the door, she noticed the door was open. She looked in and saw Georg sitting at a chair. He noticed her and smiled. He got up to go talk to her but before he could Elsa appeared before her in the study.

"Gentlemen, will you excuse me, I have to go talk with Maria." Elsa politely exited the room which made Maria step away from the door.

"Good day Baroness?" Maria greeted cordially. Elsa inclined her head politely in return

"I was just on my way to find-" Maria began to explain.

"No need to explain. Come we'll have a chat while on our way." Elsa interlocked arms with Maria which made her uncomfortable, Elsa had never seemed like the friendly type.

"Now dear, tell me, is it true Georg and you have been friends since you were children?" Elsa led them down the hall, very slowly.

"Yes, we met at the park down the road-"

"And have remained friends all this time?" Elsa nodded

"Yes." Maria's tone was a bit sharper

"Even when he married Agathe?"

"I was introduced to Agathe months after they began courting, when they had been married a little over a year was when I moved to England."

"Why the sudden move?"

"Education," Maria stood her ground "I was given an opportunity and took it."

"You didn't flee for any other purpose? You and Georg never, how should I put it, got heated?"

Maria stopped in her tracks "If you are insinuating that Georg and I were improper then you would be sorely mistaken." Good Lord, she had done this once before, and it wasn't pretty then either.

After the dinner where Maria declared her exit and the subsequent conversation, Georg and Maria rejoined the group for coffee and dessert. Agathe, with her barely visible bump, kept eyeing Maria. She had always got on with Agathe. She was sweet, but guarded, difficult to open up to. However, Georg claimed that she was passionate and loved with every fiber of her being.

Maria knew they were different; she was boisterous and Agathe was quiet. Maria was kind but firm and Agathe was the picture of gentility. However, they bonded over music and discussed at length various operas and musicians. It started out as a safe topic for them but grew into a real connection.

Yet once Agathe got pregnant things changed. Maria was one of the first to know and Agathe was not exactly happy about it. Georg had called her first only after his mother to share the news. He had assured her many times that Maria was only a friend and that was all she would be. He had been honest and admitted his childhood crush, but Agathe feared there was something more, and her changing body and raging hormones didn't help her frustration.

Maria excused herself for the bathroom and Agathe saw an opportunity, she got up and snuck out after her. Thankfully Hede had both Hedwig and Fritz engrossed in some story about another beau.

"Maria," Agathe called out sweetly, but sincerely, "Can I have a word with you?" Agathe approached Maria meekly and Maria gave a reassuring nod.

"What exactly did you and Georg discuss?" Agathe twisted her hands.

"He was just shocked. No need to fear. We also spoke of how excited he was for you and the baby; it's always reassuring after a good appointment." Maria explained happily.

"It's just, you were gone for quite a while." Agathe glanced to the side towards the room they had previously occupied

Maria suddenly knew where this was going but was not planning on taking the bait. "Moving to England is different then moving down the street, there was more to discuss." She remained graceful.

"It just seemed, oh I don't know, odd I suppose? I mean you did grow up together, and he liked you as a child and-"

"Don't be silly Agathe, Georg never liked me, the only girl he ever seriously had eyes for is you." Maria lied on behalf of Georg; she remembered his early college days.

"But you see Maria he did, he told me himself." Agathe sighed and Maria's stomach sank to her feet. "When you were children." She added and Maria began to feel her heartbeat slow down, thankfully he didn't know of her feelings.

"Well, that was so long ago," Maria waved her hand, "It means nothing I assure you. He dotes on you constantly."

"You're telling me you never were involved with Georg?" Agathe's eyes widened in curiosity, Maria's widened in horror.

"Absolutely not!" Maria exclaimed. "And we never will, you're being ridiculous." The last part came out before she knew it.

"I am not," Agathe retorted, finally finding her voice. "When we began courting, I thought he had eyes for you."

"He's married to you and not me, that should tell you everything you need to know. Now, if you will excuse me." Maria began to walk off, leaving Agathe unconvinced. Maria turned around a few steps later.

"I trust your husband Agathe, you should too."

"We never got "heated." Maria physically took a step away.

"Not ever? There was no moment of pas-"

"No." Maria was firm "I would not dishonor Agathe like that, even after her passing. Nor would he dishonor my own marriage in such a way. I loved Charlie and he loved Agathe, that's all there is to it."

"If that's the case" Elsa began coyly "Then let me make this quite plain." Maria crossed her arms.

"Georg is mine, I know you have his children and Max wrapped around your little finger, but Georg is wrapped around mine. So, I suggest perhaps visiting less, I fear he is becoming attached not only to your two ragamuffins, but to you as well."

Maria began to open her mouth "You leave my children out of this, they are 6 and 8 years old, you shouldn't even include Liesl in this-"

"But have I made myself clear?" Elsa raised an eyebrow

"Crystal." Maria gripped her arms tighter.

"Good." Elsa sashayed away and disappeared back into the study and Maria could hear the door click shut. She turned to see the library door open slowly and Brigitta stuck her head out.

"How much of that did you hear?" Maria asked in fear.

"Enough," Brigitta shrugged.

"This stays between us." Maria held a finger out, "Oh I could strangle that woman." Maria gritted through her teeth.

"You said this stays between us, right?" Brigitta asked

"Yes. Do you have something to add between the two of us?" Maria smirked

"Yes, I do." Brigitta nodded

"By all means," Maria gestured with her hand.

"She's a Bit-"

Hey Y'all. Another flashback. What do we think? I've hardly seen any fic on any platform where Agathe and Maria actually meet. I also didn't want to villainize either of them but instead pull on how their emotions lead them to misunderstand the situation with the other. I think in this universe Agathe, and Maria were genuinely friends, but it wasn't a besties situation like my last fic (Shameless plug, go read The Parent Trapp if you haven't.)

Let me know what you think. Thanks for reading!