Chapter 4

After an uncomfortably quiet dinner, the children were excused to go do quiet activities in the nursery, Jane and Michael included. Leaving Maria and Georg alone in the sitting room to talk. Georg sat on the settee, while Maria made herself comfortable in an armchair. This room had changed significantly, it was brighter, probably as a result of Agathe, and Maria was thankful for it, her only wish was that it was full of the children.

"So how have you been?" Maria was never one to beat around the bush.

"Fine." Georg smiled awkwardly as he set down his drink.

"And the children?" Maria pushed, hoping to dig into it

"Content, I think the school year was a good distraction, however it being summer again I find they are more rebellious." Georg shrugged "Your children seem lovely by the way; I haven't seen Jane since she was practically a baby."

"She definitely thinks she's all grown up; she gets it from her father." Maria shook her head "She is always so proper, just like Charlie was, but I can see deep down sometimes she wants to explode." Maria smiled

"Sounds like Brigitta." Georg rolled his eyes; Maria couldn't help but think of Jane and Brigitta's interaction earlier in the day.

"Speaking of which, Jane has told me that Marta and Gretl have asked her over for tea." Maria began in her fake posh accent, something she always had done when mocking Hede if she were particularly pretentious.

"Jane and Michael are welcome here anytime, and you are as well. I know the move is probably daunting." Georg relaxed into his seat a bit while Maria sat up.

"Actually, I don't know why it was so daunting, after Charlie was killed, I stayed in England and raised my babies. I thought many times of coming home, of coming here, but for some reason..." Maria knew exactly the reason, the loss, the heartbreak had kept her in England until circumstances dictated otherwise. "I just figured now was the perfect time, I guess it all worked out." Maria slumped into her seat again.

"You know, if you need anything we're here, I'm here." Georg leaned forward and put a hand on Maria's knee, she could feel the imprint of his hand. They could touch, fight or hug all the time and it meant nothing, but now, it was too much.

By the time Maria entered her first year of middle school Georg was entering his last, she was merely 11 and he nearly 14 at this point, as it was the part of the year where they were two years apart rather than three. Maria had managed to evade all the middle school stereotypes. She had no interest in makeup, or boys, that would come much later, yet Georg fell to this quite quickly.

The friends often passed each other in the halls, and now they even shared a class together, choir. Maria was vowed to keep it a secret from the boys on Georg's European football team, as difficult as it was.

One afternoon, as the choir prepared for the Christmas concert it was the dreaded day of auditioning for solos. Georg didn't care to audition, and Maria claimed she didn't either, however their choir teacher, Mrs. Welsh deemed it necessary for her to audition.

Maria's face turned red at the prospect of singing in front of her peers, she felt her stomach begin to feel funny from the nerve of it all, and also always had to pee when she was nervous, something Hede always laughed at. Georg gave his friend an encouraging nod from across the room before Maria opened her mouth. Mrs. Welsh began the accompaniment and Maria began to sing. Georg always knew she could sing from the first time he met her, but hearing her sing technically well, by herself, was eye opening. Maria was still visibly nervous, and he motioned with his finger to turn around so she wouldn't have to see the audience. She noticed this and believed it to be a good idea, but it still didn't calm the nerves in her tummy.

Once she had turned and the snickers began Georg's eyes bulged from his head. Poor Maria. It seems she was at that time of the month as she had bled through her uniform skirt. Georg wasn't stupid, Hede made sure Georg knew what it was and how to deal with girls on it and Hedwig had agreed her daughter was smart to think of this.

However, the laughing grew worse and as Maria turned around, she heard the names she was called, gross disgusting names. Mrs. Welsh immediately tried to silence the class but couldn't stop Maria from running out crying. As the class continued to jest Georg hopped out of his seat and ran after her, he assumed she had run to the girl's washroom.

He jogged down the hall and opened the door, thankfully no one else was in there and no teachers saw him in there. Maria was sitting in the last stall, face in her hands bawling from embarrassment.

"What am I going to do? I have no clothes, no cloth, this has never even happened to me before." Maria sobbed.

Georg pulled his friend off the toilet and enveloped her in a hug.

"Listen Ria, this happens to every girl, get cleaned up as best you can and meet me in the hall."

Maria nodded and Georg helped her wipe her tears away and he exited. A few minutes later a red faced, but not crying Maria approached him with her hands behind her back.

"I'll talk to Hede when we get home and see if you can borrow her stuff until you get your own. I know your mother will be happy to order you some cloths, but you need some today. For now, however," Georg pulled his uniform sweater over his head, leaving him in just the button up and trousers. "Tie this around your waist." He held it out to her, and Maria shook her head, he gave her a look and tossed it her way. She then tied it around herself before giving Georg a hug.

"What would I do without you?" Maria mumbled

"I'm here, always," Georg stepped out of the hug. "You better go see the nurse; I should get back to class."

Maria nodded and began the walk to the nurse's office, as he watched her go, he realized he didn't know what he'd do without her, it was the very first time he ever looked at her as more than a friend.

"I appreciate that Georg. I should get the children." She stood up and began to walk out of the sitting room. He followed her upstairs. He looked on as she had to practically drag Michael away and fixed Jane's bangs from the way she had been laying on the floor, reading with the younger girls.

As the trio excited, he realized he didn't know how he had lasted practically 10 years without her, and the past 6 without her at all. 

Hey y'all. I know this chapter is more focused on the flashback than anything, but I felt it necessary to strengthen their relationship. The next chapter is super long, so I hope you enjoy this shorter one for now. 

Thanks for reading!