The Family and My Magic

My first few years in this new world were nothing too spectacular. My family consisted of my mother, father, and two older sisters who doted on me. I suppose I should be thankful that they at least had baby formula...

     I'll start with describing my family. My oldest sister, Elana, was smart. She was always reading something, looking down enough at her book that her blonde curls would often fall on the page and obscure the words. It frustrated her to no end, but she never cut her hair. I'm not quite sure why. She'd often read to me. Children's books, sure, but I'd watch her blue and purple eyes follow the words on the page, learning to read on my own as well, though speech was a problem until the age of three.

     My second sister was named Elizabeth. Her talents lay in a different field as while Elana focused more on academics, Lizzy excelled in artistic pursuits. Her paintings were phenomenal and lifelike enough that you couldn't tell it was a painting. She was great at culinary arts as well. I remember longing for her baked sweets before I had the teeth to eat them.
My father was King Louis Moldovan Bivalves the 8th. He was beloved by his kingdom though I could tell his ignorance in the topics regarding the common folk sometimes irked them. He was never malicious and tried his best to help and protect his people. It was his cabinet and the other nobles insistence that he didn't need to visit the towns to better inform him of his people that caused his ignorance.

     My mother was a beautiful woman. She had long white hair that shined like diamonds in the sun and the softest pair of red eyes that held limitless love and kindness for those around her. Her voice was sweet and soft and she'd always sing lullabies to her children to help them sleep. It was from her that I learned of the different magical affinities being tied to eye color. She held a stunningly strong connection to fire magicc that she discovered when her eyes gained color at the age of five.

     Magic in this world being tied to eye color is an interesting thing. It causes the children to be born with almost white irises. A ceremony, aptly named the Color Ceremony, was to be held the day after their fifth birthday to discover what their affinities would be, though there have been cases of children discovering their affinities before then. My father was one such case, being born with strikingly strong green and purple eyes, clairvoyance and plant magic.

     The colors were consistent across the board regarding magic with no one ever getting more than four affinities at once. The ceremony itself is designed to test all of the affinities at once in a quick and easy to perform way so that everyone, even the poorest of people, can afford or even perform on their own. It's similar to Christian baptism in that the child the ceremony is being performed on is dunked in blessed water. The process of blessing the water is a simple matter of just praying over it. While the child is under, the priests and the observers will chant a prayer. "Oh blessed guardians of our land, reveal to us the powers you have given this child so we may better guide him(or her) to use it for the good of the country." Or something to that effect. The child will then be lifted out of the water and open their eyes to reveal what their powers are.

     I had undergone the ceremony when I was 5 years old and one month, due to me getting a cold when I was originally supposed to undergo the ceremony. While I was under, though, I got to see my three ethereal friends once again. Androma in particular was rather happy to see me.

     "Oh look how cute you've become! I told you giving him platinum hair would make him adorable!" she squealed, hugging me tight and glancing at Helos, who rolled his eyes.

     "Hello everyone. As happy as I am to see you again, is this normal for the Color Ceremony?" I asked. They hadn't appeared to or spoken to me before now. It lead to quite a bit of confusion on my end.

     "Not really," replied Helos. "But yours is a special case. We wated to talk to you about the magic you'll recieve."

     "We have decided that you are to gain all the attributes of magic this world has to offer you," said Karm. "This way, you will better be able to achieve the goals we sent you to this world to achieve."

     "We wanted to talk to you about it first before you freaked out. It's going to make you quite the power house, after all. And don't worry about your magic going haywire as you learn to control it. Your power levels will be very small until you can get full control over everything. As you train and study, your power levels will grow!" Androma tried to reassure me that everything was fine, but in reality, I was panicking a little. I could cause multiple wars if my powers were to ever be revealed to other countries.

     My protests were in vain though, as shortly after they described the various feats of magic I'd be able to do, I was forced back to reality by being lifted out of the water. To say the crowd was stunned to see my affinities was an understatement. It felt as though ime had stopped while everyon stood in stunned silence. It was the longest minute and a half of my lives before the temple erupted into chaos. Some observers wondered if this was even possible while others were claiming I wasn't human. It took my parents and the priests to calm them down. Eventually it was decided that I was given a tremendous blessing by the gods and was meant to lead the kingdom some day.

     They sure could have given me a bit more of a warning or at least some way to hide it....