The momentary improvement in his mood vanished under the weight of his purpose. "Business I'm afraid," he said, looking her in the eye and allowing her to see just how much he was affected. "Serious business, of a most sensitive nature."

Amelia studied him for a long moment, and then turned back to her underling. "Auror Tonks," she said formally, "Master Auror Delacour is permitted in the building at all times. Please remember that in the future. Dismissed."

"Yes, ma'am," nodded Tonks. "Good luck, Master Auror."

"Sebastian will do, Auror Tonks," he smiled.

Tonks smiled brilliantly back at him, her pink hair perking right back up. He had no idea how she could possibly do that, but had to admit that if he was thirty years younger and unmarried, he would have thought it quite adorable. But then, he married a veela, and really had nothing at all to complain about!

As she turned and flounced off into the bowels of the Auror office, Sebastian followed Amelia inside. He drew his wand and scanned for listening charms as soon as she closed the door, and then cast a privacy bubble around them for good measure. He did not like what was going on.

"That serious, Sebastian?" frowned Amelia.

"Worse," he nodded. Spotting a bowl on the counter, he added, "Is that your Pensieve?"

Amelia nodded and moved to retrieve it while Sebastian gathered his thoughts. They worked closely together in the last war, and she knew when and when not to make small talk, which he genuinely appreciated. Had he stayed in the Auror Corps, he might have tried to lure her to France on a permanent basis; she was very good at what she did.

He extracted the memory of his afternoon at the Dursley home and dropped it in the Pensieve, and then joined her as they viewed it. His disgust returned in full force as he watched the conversation from the altered perspective, noting that he wouldn't even have to admit to using Legilimency prior to the signing! They had verbally provided everything she needed to know!

She was pale by the time she exited the Pensieve, and he waited for the inevitable questions to start. And sure enough–

"Were you lying about your daughter?" she asked first, her concern audible in her voice. "Did someone really save her life?"

"It is true," he nodded. "I suppose you know what that means?"

Amelia shuddered. "It's barbaric!" she spat, "but yes, I know what it means. We really must find a way to counter life debts for veela."

"I do not disagree," he shrugged, "but we do not 'ave that option at the moment."

"I cannot believe those people would sign away a child like that, let alone a blood relation!" she swore. "Who is the child?"

Sebastian leaned back into the couch. He knew his friend well, and she would not be well pleased when she found out! The whole situation was a scandal of the utmost proportions! It could potentially blow their world wide open, and possibly even result in the deaths of far too many Muggles in misplaced retribution!

Sighing, he gave his friend a sad look. "That is where things get sticky, Amelia," he warned, "for the young man in question is none other than 'Arry Potter."

Amelia reeled back as though slapped, completely thrown by his revelation. Her cheeks drained of color: she, too, knew the significance! Life was not going to be fun for them in the near future, and he still had to explain everything to poor Harry on top of it!

"Please tell me you're joking!" she breathed at length.

"Do I look like I'm joking, mon amie?" he asked seriously. And then he drew the paperwork out of his pocket and placed it in front of her. "'Arry Potter is now my ward," he said bluntly. "We will arrange for a different guardian if 'e wishes, but it is my 'ope that 'e will stay with us." Rubbing his face tiredly, he added, "But it gets worse."