★★

THE GROUP that was staying with Will was his mother, Jonathan, Argyle, and Mike. Lucas, Dustin, Erica, Robin, and Steve would be the ones to receive the signal that Will was distracting Vecna, and then send it off to those in the Upside Down. That group consisted of Hopper, Nancy, and El. The groups that were in Hawkins were larger than last time in order to ensure that everything went smoothly with no interruptions.

Mike had asked Will's favorite song, to which he told him Boys Don't Cry by The Cure. Ever since all of his previous experience with the Upside Down, Should I Stay or Should I Go had become associated with all of that. So, that song was no longer his favorite, and instead was replaced with a song he could very heavily relate to.

Currently, he was sitting in the living room on the couch next to Mike, who would check up on him every 5 seconds. He was glad that Mike was concerned, but he still couldn't help but think about the vision he had earlier. It felt so realistic and really hurt him, even if it wasn't real.

"Hey, you okay?" Mike asked him, noticing that he had zoned out a bit.

"Oh, yeah, I'm fine. Just thinking." Will replied blandly. He could tell that Mike was still concerned, but had accepted that it must be the truth.

"If you don't mind me asking," Mike wet his lips, adjusting himself on the couch before he continued. "What did you see earlier when everyone was still here?" Will's eyes widened at the question. He really did not want to tell Mike what he saw.

"Well, you started saying some... hurtful... things and that was pretty much it." Will explained, lightly glazing over the topic. Mike's expression softened as he reached his hand out to Will's, who hesitantly accepted.

"I'm not sure what I said to you in that vision, but I'm sure whatever it was isn't true. I... I care about you, a lot." The other boy attempted to reassure him, but it felt like he struggled to find the right words to say. Will gave him a smile, which Mike happily returned, their hands still interlocked. They didn't know for how long, but for some time after that, they sat holding hands in silence.

Joyce walked into the room, holding two plates with leftover lasagna on them. Mike and Will immediately let go of each other's hands and looked away from each other, as if they got caught doing something they shouldn't have been doing. "I brought you guys something to eat while we wait." She said as she sat the plates down in front of them, along with some silverware.

"Thanks, mom." Will said before starting to eat his food, glancing over at Mike from the corner of his eye. The raven haired boy was eating too, but he had a look of what looked like shame on his face. Yet another awkward silence fell over the room, neither knowing what to say, or if they should say anything at all.

Both boys had finished their food and were now just sitting there, staring off into space. Will took a deep breath, and thought for a moment. If things did go wrong here and he didn't make it out alive, he wanted Mike to know the truth about the painting. But, if he did make it out alive, it would make everything awkward between them, plus he would have to deal with the rejection of his feelings. Something like that definitely wouldn't help him when he's already miserable.

The brunette kept thinking, though, and eventually decided that coming clean with the truth was more important than having to deal with rejection. Besides, if Mike outright said he didn't feel that way, he wouldn't have to spend hours at night wondering if Mike even slightly liked him like that. So, he turned over to face the other boy so he could tell him the truth.