Can't Sleep? ~ Natasha

Start from the beginning

"Maximoff? Why'd you do that?" but of course he did. "Just working on my reflexes." I'm usually not good at lying but he seems to believe me. Y/n shot me a silent thank you while Clint just shrugged it off and walked to the other side of the mat to restart. Everything was fine and then Natasha opened her mouth.

"What was that about?"

"Nothing-" I tried to explain but I got she shushed and marched passed me to get to the two of them. "You were being sloppy so Wanda came to your rescue."

I could tell y/n was about to try and defend herself when Clint butted in. "Nat, it's fine. She's probably just tired. You should be thankful Wanda interfered, y/n could've gotten hurt." it was obvious he was trying to calm her down. He's one of the few who can, one of those people used to be y/n, but now there's all this weird tension between them.

"Y/n, why don't you go warm down." Steve piped up as he walked back over. She just nodded and walked to the sidelines. Steve had waited for her to get out of earshot before he started talking again. "Barton's right. I saw her on the couch this morning taking a nap before training," he admits and I visibly saw Natasha put the pieces together—when she saw me getting y/n's clothes for her earlier. Then she looked at me and I prayed that she wasn't about to do what I thought she would.

"Wanda, care to explain?" I wanted so bad to curse at her for dragging me into this. I sighed as the other two turned their attention to me waiting for the so-called "explanation" Natasha wants me to share with them. It wasn't really their business.

"It's really not your business. And it's also not mine to tell." The last part, I said directly to Natasha. "Wanda, can't you just tell us? Is she having nightmares?" Clint presses and then Steve cuts in.

"Is she going through a phase again? Like the time she stayed up late every night for three weeks reading old mission reports? What was that about again?" Steve's thoughts begin to trail off topic when he forgets the reason y/n was putting herself through that.

"She wanted to help come up with strategies and battle plans for future missions." Natasha spoke up this time, but she appeared as though her mind was elsewhere. Her arms were crossed and her eyes were glued to the floor with an absentminded look. But we all knew it was because every single night in those three weeks, Natasha was there with you and made sure you eventually went to sleep.

Steve quickly focused his gaze back on me and I knew this time he wouldn't stop asking until I gave him an answer.

"She's having trouble falling asleep. That's it." I shrugged hoping they'd let it go after I gave them that but he just asked why and now I really couldn't say anything. I just shrugged and when their eyes stayed on me I started getting anxious and I could feel myself fidgeting, a habit I thought died a while ago. I guess old habits die hard.

On the verge of a breakdown, I finally was able to breathe when all of their attention quickly turned to y/n who spoke up from behind them. She quickly walked over to me and grabbed my hand.

Y/n's pov

Let's be honest. I could hear everything that they were saying, the room has a small echo. I was grateful that Wanda was defending me, I had no doubts there. But once I saw Wanda begin to fidget I knew I needed to take some attention off of her so I quickly walked over there and reached out to grab her hand which she was quick to grab on to.

"What did you say?"

"Steve, it's not that important." he shook his head and started rambling about how I'm part of a team, 'we're family and we're worried about you...' things like that which I sort of tuned out to make sure Wanda was okay. But then I tuned him out because I glanced at Natasha and her focus was solely on me.