" So I was thinking what if you become the empress and she can be the queen "He said while looking up at me with beaming eyes.

This sly old man.

" No thank you, your majesty. Though I appreciate your gesture "He looked surprised when I said that.

" What makes you decline like that? "He asked.

"From what I've learned.. Great power comes with great responsibility and great responsibility can turn into shackles.. Although being an empress is quite an honour but the pressure is tremendous.. Palace politics and assassinations, keeping the nobles in check, not showing your emotions, keeping your heart closed, marriage without love.. There are plenty of sacrifices to be made but now for me... the sacrifice isn't worth it especially since I've fallen out of love for his highness, the crown prince " l came to a halt.

Did I make a mistake?... I feel like I just insulted his power but all I said was the truth..Well, he asked me first so...

Am I gonna get punished for disrespecting the monarch?

I slowly glanced at his majesty but to my surprise he was smiling!

He smiled, the same smile I saw in my papa's face as well the Duke's.

" You've grown up just like your mother" He said while smiling.

Wait.. He knows my mother?.. I mean Salvarina's mother?!

"It seems so" l laughed it off.

" Fine then.. What do you think about the baron girl? " He asked.

" She seems quite naive but she can be a good empress by working hard" She's the heroine after all!

"You're right, Salvarina. Although I have assigned brilliant tutors for her.. Her naive nature is something that we should get rid of since it's going to bring her trouble. One cannot be naive while entering politics."

"True" I totally agree with him.

"Salvarina, can you promise me something?"

Alright.. What is this guy up to now?

"What is it, your majesty?" I asked curiously.

"The empire... Can I entrust the empire's as well as my son's future to you?"

What the hell?... Shouldn't it be entrusted to your daughter-in-law?!

"I will try my best to serve the empire as the future duchess Salvair"

"It seems that you have decided to inherit your father's position"

"yes, your majesty" I answered proudly.

"I'm sorry if I'm burdening you with my request.. It's just that I'm worried about the future"

"Are we talking about the 'Slavery'?"
I spoke directly hitting the nail. It's just that I don't want to drag this on any further.

"Yes.. But it just doesn't seem to end there, Salvarina"

"What do you mean, your majesty?"

"I am unsure myself.. But there seems to be something going on with Marquis Leiber"

Marquis Leiber, the head of the opposing faction. A cunning old man. He's also said to commit drudgery and nonstop abuse towards his servants. He also has plenty of casinos in the capital. It's clear that he aims for more power and he's been doing what he can to bring down the imperial family for years. In short he is a power-hungry fox.

"Does he have anything to do with slavery?"

"That is what I'm looking for..But from the recent reports it seems that he's upto something.. His movements have increased and he's been frequently visiting Viscount Truffaut.."

Viscount Truffaut, a man who doesn't stick to his words and keeps jumping from one faction to another like a monkey. That's right.. In front of his Majesty he seems to have unyielding loyalty to the throne but in front of other nobles he seems to be bickering about the monarch.. In short he's a coward, a flip-flopper and a turncoat.

" What's your opinion regarding this?"

Huh? Why is he asking me this?

"In my opinion, it is best to continue monitoring them rather than taking any rash actions."

"I am thinking the same"

"But your majesty, Why are you asking me this?"

"I needed an insight from someone since the crown prince is doing nothing but fooling around"

"So, prince Alexander doesn't know anything about it?"

"That's right.." He said while smiling brightly.
It's quite obvious as to how annoyed he is with his son's behavior.

We continued talking about the infrastructure and the economy of our empire. We also talked about some politics and just like that time flew...

"Salvarina, I'm thinking about hosting a banquet maybe next month to announce the engagement of my son and lady Melody" His majesty spoke while placing the cup down.

"That's indeed a wise decision, your majesty"

"I hope she'll be presentable until then"

"Surely we can only hope so since this matter cannot be dragged on any further"

"You're right and also do make sure to come"

"Of course.. Then, I'll take my leave, your majesty" I said with a curtsy.

"Very well. I had a great time chatting with you, Lady Salvair" He spoke.

Wow he switched back to his monarch mode real quick.

"Likewise, your majesty" I smiled at him.

                                ♦️