The part Where a Few answers are received - Yudhistira

Start from the beginning

"What do you want me to say, Aryaputra? You know full well the circumstances under which my marriages were conducted. Was it difficult for me? Incredibly so. Was I in love with your younger brother who rightfully won at my swayambara? At that point I had not reached the stage of love but I certainly liked that young warrior who achieved the impossible. Then when I met all of you I was charmed by your camaraderie, the strong bond between the five of you. I did not mind then leaving the palace life and settling down for a much more humble way of living. I had sensed peace and I let myself become ecstatic at the thought gaining such warm hearted and brave brothers in addition to my brave husband."

Draupadi had allowed for some tears to escape the confines of her eyes and Yudhistira sat holding her hands, trying to provide an impartial ear for her thoughts and an open heart for her laments. It had been tough for him, he whose whole life was steeped with Dharma. But he refrained from any parading of his knowledge, refrained from reminding Draupadi of her duties. With her he stopped being the eldest brother, the king, the Dharmaraj and chose only to be Yudhistira.

"We gave you an impossible choice, didn't we?" He had questioned.

"There was no choice Arya," Draupadi had replied, the words simple yet impactful. "The only recourse for me was the path I finally chose to walk upon. But you need not hold any guilt over the workings of time and fate. I have accepted my marriage with all of you and I have done so with a free mind. "

"So there was no coercion?" Yudhistira had allowed his voice to portray the guilt he always felt.

Draupadi had chosen to avoid the question but her pained smile had said it all. The rest of their first night had been spent with more confidences being exchanged and when at last dawn was breaking over the eastern horizon, Yudhistira had found himself a new friend.

As he stood at the palace entrance, he continued to feel the familiar stirrings of guilt. Yudhistira had never spoken to Arjun regarding the trials his younger brother had faced all his life. He had come forward as always being busy with the administration of his empire, when it had been Arjun's and Bheem's capability on which Indraprasth stood tall and successful.

"Jyestha Bhrata!"

Yudhistira started; Dushyala's voice. She still sounded weak and shaken up but much steadier.

"Dushyala!" Duryodhana had moved forward at his sister's voice and was now standing in front of her worriedly. "How are you now? What happened?"

Dushyala shook her head and her eyes sparkled with unshed tears. "I need to talk to Jyestha Bhrata, Bhrata Duryodhana. H-He needs to k-know..."

Duryodhana frowned and a dark look passed his face. He would have interrupted further but Yudhistira stepped into the midst of the conversation; he needed to know exactly what had occurred with Arjun and Dushyala. Duryodhana did not move away and Yudhistira had to stand shoulder to shoulder with his cousin; it was a weird show of pretentious support. Yudhistira could not remember the last time even this visual display of support existed between them.

"Jyestha Bhrata!" Dushyala sprang up and dislodging Mata Kunti's hand from her own moved towards Yudhistira and into his comforting embrace. The eldest Pandava tightened his arms around his sister as he felt her break down into sobs once again.

"Calm down, dear Dushyala. Now...now...." Yudhistira soothed. He could feel Duryodhana stiffening next to him. It took a moment but Dushyala finally calmed down and moved away a little. Her hair was dishevelled and her kajal had run over due to her tears. Yudhistira lovingly wiped away her tears and caressed her bowed head.