"Why is the mountain so special?" Her voice is full of curiosity.

Maria smiled "It's hard to describe unless you're up there. It's one of those things you just have to experience for yourself, and it's a little different each time."

"Are we going to have to hike all the way to the top?" Michael wiped the milk off his face with his sleeve.

"No," Maria chuckled at the thought "There's a train no bigger than a trolley that you ride almost to the top, the rest is just like a walk." She bit her lip; it was a bit of a rough walk if she was honest.

"I'm excited to see it," Jane grinned. Maria hadn't seen her quite this excited for anything in a long time, her prim little girl had put up a battle about bedtime the night before.

Once they were all finished, they walked to the house to collect the von Trapp children. Maria had prepared a picnic basket with plenty of food, but she had an inkling Frau Schmidt would send some treats as well.

When Maria arrived at the door Franz was of course the one to open it.

"Good, they've been running around like monkeys all morning." He drawled as he stepped aside.

Before she could blink, she was bombarded by Kurt, Liesl and the little girls. "Maria, are we going to have to rock climb?" Gretl asked as Marta's face filled with worry.

"No dear, it will all be fine I promise. Where are your brother and sisters?" Maria asked. Jane and Michael were already in conversation with Kurt and the girls, so Liesl answered. "Brigitta is coming along, Friedrich is trying to drag Louisa out of her room.

Not a moment later Frau Schmidt came into the foyer with a basket, Brigitta not far behind with a smaller one.

"For you Maria, they may be small, but they are bottomless pits." Frau Schmidt handed the basket over to her.

"Thank you." Maria smiled pleasantly as she smiled a hello to Brigitta.

"Come on!" Friedrich could be heard from upstairs and was seen pushing his sister out of her room. Louisa crossed her arms and held her jaw tight. Friedrich walked behind her, ready to catch her if she turned around. Maria could've sworn they looked like twins at that moment.

"Hello Maria. Let me take that." Friedrich took the basket from her.

"Are we all ready to go?" Liesl looked around.

"I should talk to your father-"

"I'll get him, he is in his study with Herr Detweiler." Frau Schmidt took off down the hall.

The children chatted and bickered about who carried what and soon Georg emerged with Max not far behind.

"Do you really think you can handle all of them?" Georg looked up at his friend who was on the landing.

"They will be fine."

"Ah yes, but will you be my dear?" Max snickered.

"Don't be afraid to say you never want to see them again when you come back." Georg chuckled.

"It will be fine; we will have a good day, won't we?"

The children chorused yes.

"Very well off you go." Georg shooed them. Maria opened the door as the kids pooled out, some carrying baskets, other balls, others hands of the smaller children. Maria turned around one final time to her friend "Be safe." he mouthed, and she tried her best to hide her smile.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The children loved the mountain. Maria was encouraged to see the kids playing and enjoying the sunshine, getting to escape reality for a few brief hours before they all had to inevitably face it again. Michael, Jane and the three youngest von Trapp girls were playing tag. Friedrich and Kurt were playing catch and Louisa and Liesl were playing a card game. Maria looked out at the view. She could never understand how this moment felt surreal. She could feel the grass beneath her and the wind on her face and smell the clean cool air, the things she had missed most while in England. Yet, it didn't feel real, it felt so strange to be back, but so normal at the same time, as if no time had passed at all.