So she was the owner of the house Marcia mentioned on the phone.

"Nice to meet you too, Jessica. I'm (Y/N)."

"(Y/N), nice name," she complimented me.

"Hi, Jess, won't you hug me?" Marcia greeted her before I could respond.

My girlfriend let go of my hand so she could greet the red-haired woman, who didn't hesitate to open her arms and walk over to her to hug her. I found myself thinking about the time the brown-haired woman mentioned to me that their group of friends hadn't been separated since High School, and that even though they all had issues to deal with on a daily basis, their friendship remained strong enough to get together from time to time and hang out as if no time had passed at all.

It was something I admired, and something I aspired to find with my sweet best friend Stefan. I hoped that no matter if the challenges of adulthood consumed us and time marched mercilessly on, our friendship would endure without mishap.

"Everyone is in the dining room. Food will be ready in about ten minutes, there is hot air conditioning and drinks for you to choose from. Make yourselves at home."

"Thank you very much," I gave her a smile, once we escorted her to the part of the house where the meeting would be held.

There was a long table for six people, and this one had only three free spaces, two that Marcia and I would occupy and the one that would be occupied by the kind Jessica who had previously hosted us.

"(Y/N)! Come here, my dear!"

I knew that voice! Oh, I had no idea what he was doing here, but I was so relieved to find him around. I felt all my muscles relax immediately and my heart returning to its normal rate.

"Stefan! What a coincidence!" I exclaimed, as he stood up. I proceeded to walk over to him to put my arms around him.

"Not such a coincidence. He's my assistant, the best I've ever had," a woman next to him spoke.

"Oh, shush! I don't want to cry today," he covered his mouth with his hand, "it's a great honor to pass you dental tools five days a week."

"Please sit down," prompted us the woman I knew as the dentist the black-haired boy worked for.

Marcia and I sat next to each other. We exchanged a brief glance until she spoke, "well, this is Élise, the dentist who was kind enough to hire our dear Stefan," Marcia introduced her, "this is Chris, this is Joanne, and this is Diego," she introduced each of them, who smiled or waved in greeting, to which I reciprocated.

The event of introducing myself as such lasted far less time than the time I spent mentally preparing myself for it.

The one who caught my eye was Chris. I could instantly recognize him as the lawyer with whom Marcia worked on the very important O.J. Simpson case, and there were strong rumors that he was in love with her. Oh, the jealousy I felt when I read that, I wish I hadn't been so well informed. Still, he was as welcoming as the others. No hints of jealousy from his part either.

"I think you know Chris Darden. The only one guy who we didn't meet in high school but for my work. He teaches law at Southwestern University now," Marcia commented. "We had to take advantage of him being in town during the holidays to have him join us."