Victoria G Interviews Sydney Scotia

Victoria G: What inspired you to become an actress?

Sydney Scotia: When asked what lead to my passion for the entertainment industry, I have to go back to my early dance training. I was shy as a child except when I was on a stage. In 2008, Olympic gold medalist, Olga Korbut, took me and two of her gymnastic students with her to Hong Kong to perform. This was just before the Beijing Olympics. A documentary crew from the mainland filmed and interviewed us. I was in awe of the cameras, the lights, the boom microphone, and their process-so much so, in fact, that when given the choice between attending dance nationals the following year or going to acting camp, I chose the latter and that decision lead to my move to LA.

VG: Who are your acting inspirations?

SS: Cate Blanchett tops the list. She is captivating and continues to create strong and diverse characters and always gives a flawless performance. Cameron Diaz is one of my favorite actors to watch on screen. She has a career I aspire to emulate. I like her joyful and free energy and I believe her reactions and emotions. Also, Jennifer Lopez because of her intensity and multiple talents. She's a rock star with a work ethic I admire.

VG: What is your favorite thing about acting?

SS: I love being on set and seeing a project come to life. The process of filming and preparing is the most enjoyable part for me. I love the experience of working with other creatives and the relationships formed while working on set.

VG: What was your first acting job?

SS: My very first acting job was a small music video for a local musician when I was 10. I had to cry while holding a broken Barbie doll. I waited on set for 8 hours in the desert for a short cameo in the video. I would have waited days, I was so excited. My first professional job was 5 years later when I booked the Netflix, YTV series, Some Assembly Required at 15 years old.

VG: What is your favorite project you have ever done?

SS: I have been lucky to thoroughly enjoy every set I've been on. Each time I step on a new set, I feel like I'm getting better at my craft and enjoying the experience. Some Assembly Required was the ultimate job. When I moved to LA, I dreamt of being in a multi-camera sit-com. To book one at 15 years old as my first series, was a dream come true. I truly feel that it was very special and unique because of the chemistry on set and the enduring friendships among the cast and crew. We all loved going to work everyday and still reminisce about it to this day.

VG: Which character that you have played so far has been the most similar to you?

SS: My most recent role, Molly, in Frank & Penelope, was similar to me. I didn't have to search for a character with her. She is a young college student on her way to her next semester when she stumbles into a terrifying situation. Although I haven't been in her situation, thank goodness, I didn't have to stretch far from my own personality.

VG: One of your most notable roles was as Geneva in the YTV series, Some Assembly Required. What can you share about your time working on that series?

SS: Going to work every day on Some Assembly Required was like getting to play everyday. We had an actual roller coaster on set. The episodes were fun and the sets were amazing and colorful. Getting to interact with the studio audience was a highlight. The writers would write in some of our talents or have us learn new skills for some episodes. For example, in one episode I danced through all the sets like Christopher Walken and in another, I became a Rubik's Cube speed champion. Most of all, we were a family. I developed lasting friendships with the cast and crew so we had a blast. They were the people I wanted to hang out with on weekends even though we had just finished a 5 day work week with a live show.

VG: What are some qualities you look for in a project?

SS: I look for experiences that will challenge me and give me meaningful stories to tell. I also like to work with more experienced actors so I can watch and learn from them.

VG: How would you describe yourself in three words?

SS: Ambitious, dreamer, active.

VG: What are your social media handles?

SS: @sydneyscotia on Instagram and Twitter and @sydneysco on TikTok.

VG: Where do you see yourself in ten years?

SS: Career-wise, I see myself making my own projects and in a creative leadership position. I love to create on both sides of the camera. These are passions - not work - and as such, my days start at 7am, end at midnight, and I love every minute of it.

VG: What are three qualities every actor should have?

SS: I believe every actor should be malleable in their performance, passionate, and a good human.

VG: Do you have any advice for an aspiring actor?

SS: I would say do one thing a day that progresses you toward your goals. Whether that's taking a class, doing workshops, writing, watching films, or making connections. I would also say that making your own opportunities is key in the industry now. Making your own content is the best way to highlight your talent.

VG: What's next for you?

SS: I go to Montreal to film season 2 of Pillow Talk on Crave this Fall 2022. I am also writing more original music and releasing on all platforms. I am also writing scripts that I'm excited about.

VG: RAPID FIRE QUESTIONS Read the book or Watch the movie

SS: Both if you have time.

VG: Vampires or Werewolves

SS: Vampires

VG: Coffee or Tea

SS: Coffee, unless you're going to high tea.

VG: Chocolate or Vanilla

SS: Chocolate

VG: Singing or Dancing

SS: Dancing

VG: iPhone or Android

SS: iPhone

VG: Scary movies or Action movies

SS: Action Movies