Yeah, of course I remember. But I don't care! "But it's okay as long as you're being treated! Can't you just continue your treatment in the orphanage?" I sniffed, "Don't leave me Annie."  begging her once more.

     Playing here in the park was my idea. I thought this might be the last we'll get out to play. Together. Like we always have. Because I knew, once the day fully ends and night shifts, both our mornings will never be the same. So how can I let her go? I don't want this day to end.

     "You know I never want to leave you right? You are my best little sister."

     My small fist balled. That smile again! Giving false assurance. "Then say you won't if you do!"  Anger mounted up in my chest. Too swallowed by emotions to even think of how she felt.

     "You just really want to go back to the orphanage because you're excited of leaving tomorrow! Getting adopted by a rich family where you'll have lots of dolls and friends, you'll forget me in no time! Tell me that's not true! Tell them you don't wanna go!" I screamed. But she said nothing, she went silent for a moment. 

     Only this time I noticed how alone we were. There was not a single person around. The wind swept, rocked the swing, and made the metal screech throughout the empty playground. An eerie moment. We have been too occupied with our emotions to notice how dark it was getting. 

     "Then..."  I had my hopes up I've convinced her. I silently prayed she'll say what I wanna hear, "What if I say I want to go?"  she finished.

     My heart sank. Taken aback. That was the answer I feared the most. For the first time I saw her cry I got awfully guilty. It was the very first time she wasn't not holding any of her emotions. 

     I have seen her cry. No matter how tough her treatments were, nor how mean the other girls were. I'm used being the one comforted, but not the other way around. For the first time I felt paranoia. Though I have yet to know the term. I wanted to hold her shoulders, but couldn't. Her hand, but felt like I shouldn't. "You're making it hard for me Suzette." Her voice was shaky. It's like for the first time she was true. Her eyes were true. She never calls me by my full name. I have always been Suzy for her. Her best little sister. I could not seem to find any words to say being too overwhelmed of emotions and guilt to comfort her. Something she always does to me, which made me feel worse.

     We were both crying. Helpless from our fate. The fate of two orphaned kids, no family at all to rely to, therefore we found each other, and learned to cherished each other like real sisters, but how cruel of the world to break us apart. 

     "I want you to live. But I wish you also want me too."

     That hit me hard, my wail only became louder. I cried my heart out. Until I couldn't hear her anymore. Sobbing, I wiped my tears with the back of my hand. And though my eyes were still in blur, I recognized a seemingly catatonic horrified expression of her, looking at the direction of the entrance of the playground.

     My sobs abruptly went quiet. I tried to look over my shoulder in curiosity to see what could have made her make that strange expression, "Suzy!" she called as she abruptly caught my cheeks and turned my face back to her. She's now all smiles, as if she particularly wanted me to remember her on that smile alone, but her pale cheek that still shone of tears that time was still more vivid in my memory. "Should we play hide and seek for the last time?" 

     The irony of the situation puzzled me, "Why?"  my brows scrunched. "There's no time. I'll find you later. Run far, go."  She ordered in whisper. 

     Puzzled, yet I still quickly ran to the most reasonable hiding spot for me at that moment - the bushes a few meters away from the playground. I quickly established my self there in silence, hugging my knees. Too young to imagine any unwanted possibilities, but my heart seemed to know, it rammed with beats.

      Moments later, I started to hear a rasp of surely a man's shoes on the rough ground, approaching with agonizing slowness. I could not hear anything of Annie at all. 

     Moments passed, and the pregnant silence started to fill me. Confusion, and curiosity of what could've happened to Annie gave me a little courage to peep on what little spaces the bushes could offer. But what I saw that day, ruined my life. 

     Had I just went back to the orphanage earlier that day...

     Had I not acted in front of my sweet sister who always protected me...

     Had I not been too selfish or clueless...

     She still would've been here by now.

-

©Zed_Alinsky