𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆 , holly jolly

chapter three , holly jolly

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Nancy Wheeler felt like everyone in Hawkins High was staring at her.

For total transparency; she slept with Steve last night. Yeah, after Kennedy Theroux nearly drowned in the pool Steve and Nancy got their freak on. Nancy went home, got a scolding from her mom, and the following day at school Nancy felt like everyone somehow knew.

She didn't quite know who to confide in. She wasn't close with Carol and the redhead had a big mouth. She hadn't seen Barb yet and they hadn't spoken since Nancy told Barb to go home. That really only left Kennedy herself, and they had the first period together.

Kennedy was sitting at her usual spot, which happened to be in front of Nancy. The Wheeler leaned over to say something but paused as she realized Barb was nowhere to be seen. Frowning, Nancy looked back at Kennedy. "Hey, Ken. Where's Barb?" She asked quietly.

"I don't know," Kennedy hummed as she tiredly tapped her pencil on her desk. Kennedy didn't look like her usual self. She was still sickly pale and had bags under her eyes. She was wearing an oversized jacket and jeans, and her hair was barely brushed. She looked miserable.

"You haven't seen her anywhere?"

Kennedy finally turned toward Nancy, looking at Barb's empty chair. "Maybe she told her mom about her hand and had to get stitches." Kennedy offered the idea, trying to give the Wheeler some peace of mind. Kennedy hadn't seen Barb since the bathroom conversation, but Kennedy also hadn't been looking for her either. In fact, Kennedy had been avoiding anyone and everyone.

She left Steve's house early that morning. She called a cab to take her home, got some clothes on, and then hopped on the school bus. No, she didn't usually take the bus to school, but she did today. That's when you know it's bad.

Nancy looked at Kennedy for a moment, seeing the girl's face, "Yeah, you're probably right." She answered finally. Kennedy turned back to the front, opening up her notebook as their teacher began to speak. Nancy slouched in her chair, looking over at Barb's usual spot.

༺❀༻

Kennedy Theroux suddenly didn't like lunch.

She sat next to Carol, her fork stirring her food around as she looked over. "That's why science doesn't make any damn sense to me." Tommy ranted to the table as he looked toward his girlfriend.

Carol shook her head. "No, I swear. Look at this." She put her foot on the table, revealing a spot on the back of her foot. "It's totally frostbite,"