Chapter 2: Training Starts!

Last Time
---------------------

Naruto's face was deadpan. It was usually deadpan, but now it showed just a bit of discomfort.
"Stupid rain," Naruto mumbled. A barking sound echoed in his ears.
"Tell me about it."
---------------------

Like each time the voice had done so before, Naruto ignored the voice's provocation. He wasn't sure where exactly the voice was to be able to be heard so clearly in this rain on this empty street, but he would ignore it. It would go away eventually.

"I'm not going anywhere, brat. Even if I could, you're the only brat in this hellhole worth talking to."

Naruto decided to ignore the voice. Turning a corner, the boy saw his apartment building up ahead. Finding renewed energy, the boy ran the last couple yards to his front door. He took the stairs two at a time, before darting down the hall. When he came to his door, he pulled out his keys and fumbled with the lock.

After a bit of fumbling, Naruto realized that his key wasn't fitting. Very faintly, both through walls and over the patter of the rain, the sound of his grouchy landlord cackling could be heard. She had changed his locks once more, and he would have to wait until the rain let up before he would even try to brave the way all the way to the Hokage Tower.

He was dripping rainwater onto the walkway floors. It was an outside walkway too, so it was cold too. Bracing his back against the door. Naruto felt himself get sleepy.

"Brat, don't go to sleep," the voice said. Naruto wanted to look for it, he did, but he was just so tired. Maybe he could just close his eyes for a second?

"Brat," the voice continued. It sounded like it was panicking. "I just told you not to go to sleep. You were out in the rain too long. Can't you feel yourself shivering?"

He couldn't. Actually, he couldn't feel anything at all. Except sleepy. He felt extremely sleepy. Against his will his eyes began to droop.

"Brat!" the voice yelled. "Keep your damn eyes open!"

Naruto didn't respond, not even with his thoughts. His eyes drifted closed, and he felt the tranquility of sleep wash over his body.

Then he felt blinding, overwhelming pain. Naruto screamed as something akin to lava bubbled all over his skin.

"I told you to stay awake, brat!" the voice said. "Look what you made me do!"

Naruto could indeed look at what was happening. Some weird, red liquid was bubbling out of his skin. It looked like a combination of some kind of jelly and water. It bubbled every so often, and every inch of it that touched him both burned and stung him.

"Force it down, boy!" the voice yelled. Naruto didn't know who it was, but he seemed concerned. Wasn't he the one to do this to him? "Don't question things! Just force the chakra back down!"

So that's what this is? Chakra? Wasn't chakra supposed to be warm and comforting? This chakra felt unbearably hot and painful.

"Listen brat, if you don't stop questioning things you're going to die. Just ignore the pain and push the chakra back!"