Drive

Song: Drive - Valerie Broussard

Inspired by Hailee's latest tik tok (you know the one, don't even)

Like most days, your girlfriend was waking you up. The first thing you noticed were the soft kisses and quiet laughter coming from the gorgeous woman beside you. The second thing you noticed was that she was fully dressed. Wait, what? When did that happen? Lastly, you noticed that it was still pitch black outside. "Babe, what's going on?" You whispered as you tried to cuddle back into her. She wrapped her arms around you and squeezed you tight. "I wanna go for a drive, baby." She placed a kiss to the top of your head. "So, come on, sleepyhead. Let's go!" The smile she sent your way had your feet on the floor in seconds.

When she said she wanted to go for a drive, you weren't expecting a whole roadtrip up the PCH to Big Sur, but you certainly weren't complaining. She was driving so you were lucky enough to get to stare at her and pretend like you were just looking at the scenery out of her window when you'd get caught. The blush on your cheeks kept giving you away though. You felt like your heart was going to explode you were so happy. As if she could sense it, she raised your hand that was holding hers and placed a delicate kiss to the back of it. You squeezed hers in acknowledgement of her love.

The two of you were constantly stopping to take in the incredible sights. With each laugh that would escape her lips and each content sigh she let out, you could feel yourself become lighter. You were both in need of this, and you loved her even more for knowing just what to do to allow yourselves to recharge. Walking back to the car after one of your stops, she asked if you wanted to drive. You agreed and opened the door for her, stealing a quick kiss. While you were driving, she put her head on your shoulder and began softly singing as she mindlessly traced shapes on your thigh. You couldn't imagine a more perfect moment.

She requested to pull over again to take in the beautiful ocean view from the cliffs. After you stopped you realized the golden hour was upon the day. The two of you decided to have an impromptu photoshoot. She was so carefree and happy, you were certain this was the best day of your life. Eventually it turned into the two of you slow dancing with only the sound of the waves against the cliffs in the background. You heard a soft gasp and turned your head to see what she was looking at. The two of you must've been dancing for a while because the sun was starting to set. She started to walk to the car, but turned around to reach her hand towards you. The way the sun was reflecting in her eyes and the smile she was giving you as the wind gently blew her hair around her face, you were suddenly inspired.

You took her hand and sat on the hood of the car together. She was watching the vibrant colors begin to fill the sky. However, you were quickly writing away in the notebook you took from your back pocket. She heard you quietly humming so she turned to face you. It was only then she noticed you were writing. "Y/N/N, we're supposed to be watching the view together, you know." She shook her head and laughed. "I was, baby, honest. I just got inspired and had to write it down. I'm almost done, I'll beat the sunset, you'll see!" She laughed again as you sent a wink her way. After a moment she turned back towards the sunset to let you be. "Done!" Only a few minutes had passed since you told her you'd be finished, and she was excited about that.

As you moved behind her to hold her, she asked if you were going to share what you wrote or if it was a secret. You thought about it for a second, then hopped off the car and grabbed her guitar from the backseat. Once you were beside her again, you paused to stare lovingly into her eyes. "I'll play and you can read, yeah?" You started playing the melody you had just been humming while she looked over the words on the pages.

Covered in light,
Every day it's always changing,
We'll be dancing when it's raining,
We're free this time,
Don't need no guide,
I just needed rearranging,

I been kinda getting tired
of all the same skylines and red lights and crowded rooms,
I been wanting something wild,
Something only we'll find, far and wide,
Just me and you,

'Cause I been waiting all of my life,
To feel the way that I do tonight,
To have you on the passenger side,
And drive,
Wherever we go, oh, I don't mind,
I would go fast right over the line,
To have you on the passenger side,
And drive

She looked up at you with her warm beautiful eyes. "Is this about today? Our day together?" You didn't trust your voice, so you just nodded your head yes. "Y/N/N..." Her voice was quiet, and she shook her head fondly at you. Next thing you knew she was jumping into your arms with her legs around your waist. "Baby!!! I love it! I love you! It'll always make me think about today and how incredible it's been. This is amazing! You're amazing! Today is amazing!!!" Her excitement was contagious and intoxicating. You couldn't stop smiling. She pressed a kiss to your forehead and you set her down.

You quickly walked back to the car to put the guitar away and grab a few pillows and blankets. After you had made the hood of her car comfortable, you pulled your girlfriend over to you. As she curled into your side, the final lingering colors of the sunset dipped below the horizon. "See? Told you I'd beat the sun." You both laughed. The two of you stayed snuggled up and watched as the stars began to fill the night sky. Watching the stars sparkle in her eyes, you wondered what you'd done in a past life to be so lucky now.