There was a shuffling from the back of the shop, and a few moments later a short man with a large nose and bushy white eyebrows popped his head out from behind one of the shelves.

"Can I help you?" he asked in a cheery voice that did not at all fit his appearance. The voice was jovial, of a man many years his junior. Not the wizened wizard that stood before them.

It was Petunia that stepped forward, as it almost always was. Rosie was in no way shy; she had no problem talking to strangers if the situation demanded it. She was just a quiet child who preferred watching and analyzing.

"We've come to get my younger sister her first wand," Petunia introduced. "This is Rose Evans; she's a muggleborn."

The old man stepped out from behind the shelves completely and began to circle the pair, carefully watching the young witch who stayed completely calm under her gaze. Petunia was the one who snapped.

"Would you desist from circling us like a vulture if you please!" she almost subconsciously took ahold of her sister's hand as if to move her behind her and hide her from the man's curious eyes.

"Would you two happened to be related to Lily Evans," the man spoke suddenly, retreating to behind a dusty counter that held even more boxes of wands. "She would have come in for her first wand nearly eight years ago now. Red hair?"

Petunia nodded; her thin lips were pursed into an unhappy frown. She didn't like dealing with this nonsense, and the only reason she was willing to was because she loved her sister, and the girl's accidental magic was becoming stronger and stronger. Yesterday she turned Vernon's morning coffee into a milkshake with whipped cream, a straw, and all.

"Best start with a willow wand then," the wandmaker said decisively, stepping backwards and disappearing amongst the dust and wands. "Ten inches and unpliable too I should think."

The elderly man brough out five different wands for Rosie to try, the first one making the vase on the front counter explode in a shower of red sparks. It was quickly taken from her while the wandmaker waved his own wand to repair the damage done to his shop. "Not that one it appears."

He thought over the remaining wands for another moment before taking two from the pile and returning them to their shelves. Then he handed Rosie another to try. It remained limp and unresponsive in her small hand.

"It appears neither Dragon heartstring or Unicorn hair are for you my dear," the man told Rosie, before turning on his heels and disappearing again. From somewhere deep inside the shop, the two girls heard him tut to himself. "Very peculiar. When I make a wand I can generally tell what sort of witch it belongs to. None of my wands- perhaps one of these then?"

The wizard returned once more with three boxes, two of which he set aside after a moment of thought.

The final he pulled out of the box and examined it for a moment,

"This wand it Beech, and has a white river monster spine core. Dreadfully tricky to work with so I don't touch it, but with Beech, I believe it works quite well." Ollivander practically thrust the wand into Rosie's hand. The wand was still for a moment and Rosie glanced over to the shattered vase. The way the flowers lay on the counter listlessly made her sad.

And then the worst thing that could possibly happen for a young witch looking for her first wand happened. The dust finally got to Rosie and she sneezed. And with that sneeze a beautiful bouquet of her sister's favorite flower, petunias, burst from the end of the wand. Ollivander chucked, took the flowers which he gently handed to Petunia, and then took the wand back to put in the box once more.

"Eight galleons please."

*******

"How was your shopping ladies?" Vernon asked that night as the three of them settled around the dining table, part of which was completely covered in the textbooks Rosie would be needing for the upcoming year. While Petunia had been cooking dinner Rosie had been at the table dutifully reading her potions textbook to the older woman, Petunia almost being able to imagine she was slaving over a boiling cauldron instead of her stove.

Petunia smiled pleasantly and Rosie mirrored the expression, though hers was a little more muted than her sister's.

"It was fine after we got Rosie's wand. Honestly, it was a dreadfully long affair in the wand shop. Of course, Rose had to be the one to be difficult," Petunia threw Rosie a playful glare and Rose stuck her tongue out childishly in response.

Vernon grinned at the two of them, his eyes soft. He really did love his sister-in-law. His very own little sister. And he loved his wife more than he ever thought he could love someone else. His little family was growing, and he was content as he listened to Rosie come slowly out of her shell under Petunia's gentle teasing. Everything was right in the world just then.

Author's Note

I changed a few things as some of you might have noticed. I added a bit more details and length. Prepare babies because Reggie comes in the next chapter. Also, peek the Regulus Fic I'm writing when I finish it. I'm writing a what if scenario to what if Regulus had lived. Very Slow Burn.