CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Începe de la început

"Is this what they print the papes on?" Race asked, and Scar looked over to find him staring at the press in awe, also catching sight of how Davey and Cora were stood beside each other, standing close as they watched the young men work on the press.

"I can see why they tossed this old girl down to the cellar, but I think she will do the job," the man in the tan suit declared and Scar smiled in relief.

Cora stepped away from Davey, placing her hand on the man's arm. "Jack, Scar, this is my brother, Darcy," she announced. "He knows just about everything there is to know about printing."

He put his hand out for both of them to shake, and Jack did so, but not until he had spit into his hand. Darcy frowned, retracting his hand for a moment, and Jack muttered an apology, wiping his hand on his vest before shaking Darcy's hand. Scar following, asking, "You work for one of the papes?"

Darcy smiled, glancing back at Cora, who nodded. "Our father owns the Trib," he told them.

Scar's eyes widened as she looked over her shoulder at Jack. "Whoa," she muttered as Darcy moved to start working on the printing press again. She looked at Cora, who smiled and nodded.

"And this is Bill," Katherine stated, directing everyone's attention to the other young man as he moved from behind the printing press. "He'll be typesetting the article for us."

Shaking his hand, Scar nodded her thanks to him, but Jack chuckled. "Bill?" he repeated, setting his hand out for Bill to take. "So I suppose you're the son of William Randolph Hearst?"

Scar laughed along at his joke with the others, but Bill took Jack's hand and shook it proudly, stating, "And proud to be part of your revolution!"

"Ain't that somethin'?" Jack muttered in awe, moving around to where Scar was standing, her own mouth agape in the same shock.

"In the words of the little one," Katherine called out, gaining everyone's attention, "can we table the palaver and get down to business?"

"A little grease and she'll be good as gold," Darcy declared as he gestured to the printing press.

Scar's chest swelled with hope – they were really doing this – they were really making change, and they couldn't afford to stop now.

"All right, here's how it'll work," Davey announced as he stepped toward the printing press, "as we print the papes, Race," he looked over at the newsie, who nodded, "you'll let the fellas in and they'll spread them to every workin' kid in New York." Then, Davey looked at Jack and Scar. "After that..."

"After that," Jack started, and Scar handed the keys Katherine had given her to Race, who winked at her, "it's up to them."

Jack sighed, staring out over the room.

[Jack]
There's change coming once and for all

Scar smiled at him, one filled with a bit of apprehension, but courage and hopefulness nonetheless. She reached down to grab his hand, squeezing it tightly.

[Jack and Scar]
You makes the front page and man, you is major news

Davey looked over at them, the three beginning to walk across the room toward each other.

[Jack, Scar, and Davey]
Tomorrow they'll see what we are

Cora made her way over to Davey, setting her hand on his arm.

[Jack, Scar, Davey, and Cora]
And sure as a star

Katherine made her way over to the group of four, placing her hands on Scar's and Cora's shoulders.