Chapter 2

-The next day-

At my publisher's office, I'm preoccupied with proofreading. Two junior employees chirp within earshot with Max, our in-house editor. His patrician looks and stylishness garner him much attention in the office. "Did you hear that dingy antique shop is going out of business?" asked Jane, one of the employees.

"The Mcnoggin and Mineral?" asked Annie, another employee.

"You must mean The Morgan and Minerva." said Max. I looked up and saw Max staring at me. He nods politely.

"It's not like anybody shops for antiques anymore," said Jane

"It's not like anybody shops for antiques anymore," said Jane. 'Out of business?! I knew that shop was a front! Something's not adding up, and I need more information. I need to do some digging...'

-one hour later-

During my lunch break, I escaped to the library determined to uncover the truth. 'Oof. My stomach... I should have eaten.' "Can I help you, dear?" the librarian asked.

"I'm looking for the property records of Calico Manor." I told her.

"Calico Manor? That name sounds old enough to be registered in our archives." the lady says.

"Archives?" I say.

"Yes, only the latest data is stored digitally. For everything else, you must research via codex. Our older archives are in the basement. Happy hunting!" my stomach growls angrily again. 'Oops...'

"I-i'd best get started on my research. Thank you." I say, heading off to the basement. Downstairs, I search adamantly through the city property and census records. I eventually find a book and start reading. "One such old property exists in the hills outside the city. Current consensus states it was abandoned 20 years ago. The government has yet to reclaim the house as a historic property." 'Could this be Calico Manor? Why was it abandoned?'

-Next week-

A week passes before I muster the courage to find the estate. Trees bloom over the path winding up to the elusive property. 'It's immaculate! I better hurry before the sun sets, and I get lost.' nestled quietly behind all the decay is the most elegant estate I've ever seen. Sprawling grounds amalgamate into lush gardens. And lights twinkle in the stately windows. 'Abandoned? This place feels very much alive.' I make my way up the stairs, pausing before I knock. Suddenly remembering the special key in my pocket. 'What treasure lies beyond this door?' CLICK. "It fits perfectly!" I push open the door and blinding light washes over me. Squinting my eyes, I suddenly see... "Reiss?!"

"Wow. About time you showed up. Miss..." Reiss says, annoyed.

"Y/n... Call me Y/n." Reiss's casual clothing has been replaced by a bespoke uniform. 'His attire may have improved but his attitude...'

'