The Wind-up Doll

Börja om från början

'Interesting,' she thought.' Who would've guessed Abuela was so scary?'

Meanwhile, Camilo was holding hands with Hanna as they continued walking behind Isabela and Luisa to the mural. Hanna turned her head to look wearily at him, wondering if he was okay with sticking around to see her deal with her family affairs that had little to do with him. But Camilo smiled back and gripped her hand a little tighter, letting her know there was no other place he'd rather be. When they had finally arrived, he saw Amalia sitting on a wooden bench (courtesy of Luisa) with her back towards them, staring up at Abuelo Pedro's painting. Her dark brown hair wasn't tied into her usual twin braids and fell straight down her back.

"Lia," Hanna called.

Amalia turned around and smiled at the sight of her sister. She had a purple flower tucked into her hair just above her right ear.

"Hey," she called back.

As Hanna approached her first, Camilo noticed the look in Amalia's brown eyes was much softer than before.

"We need to talk," she said.

"Yeah," said Hanna.

When the two of them turned to look at the others, Isabela smiled sheepishly at Amalia.

"Normally we would give you some privacy," she said.

"But Dolores can hear everything," said Luisa. "And she would end up telling us anyway."

"Right," said Amalia with a slight grin. "It's fine. You all can stay."

Camilo raised his eyebrows, noticing the way she spoke was much softer than before as well.

"We'll be totally quiet!" Isabela insisted. "Like we aren't even here!"

She then grabbed Camilo by his ruana and dragged him along as she and Luisa took several steps back from the two sisters. Amalia half-smiled and shook her head. Hanna then came around to sit on the bench beside her. She sighed, looking down at her hands in her lap.

"I'm... sorry," she said, glumly. "I'm sorry for all the mean things I said to you."

"No," said Amalia, placing her hand under Hanna's chin to lift her head up. "I'm the one who is really sorry."

Camilo watched from where he stood as Hanna looked up at her sister. Amalia raised her hand to gently brush a lock of Hanna's hair behind her ear.

"I...have not been as honest with you as I should have," she said. "And rather than place blame on you...," she turned her head to glance at Camilo. "...or anyone else...I should've owned up to my own mistake."

She took a deep breath for a moment and looked into Hanna's eyes. "The other day... you asked me if I love being perfect. I'm guessing because of all the... attention I get," she said.

Hanna nodded.

"The truth is...I don't," said Amalia. "And I'm not as perfect as you think I am. As a matter of fact, I'm a long way from it."

Hanna's eyes widened slightly. "What?" she asked in disbelief.

"You think I'm perfect because of all the things I can do very well and because I get praised by Father all the time," said Amalia. "But...if you were to look more closely, you would see that my relationship with him is not what you think it is."

Hanna said nothing but continued to stare at her sister. Then Amalia began to speak with a pompous-like voice, trying to imitate Cal.

"Father's tired, Amalia! Play the piano for him, Amalia! They wanna hear one more song, Amalia! Focus Amalia! That's a good girl! My pride and joy!" she said.