Chapter Thirteen

Magsimula sa umpisa

After a few minutes, the two were able to compose themselves, and sat in their chairs, huffing as they tried to catch their breath. Henry wiped at his eyes, a grin on his face.

"I haven't laughed that hard in a long time," He admitted happily.

Elizabeth nodded in agreement, while she had a harder time trying to regulate her breathing, due to the tight boning in her dress. She had to admit that she was beginning to truly enjoy the duke's company.

Henry stood from his chair and poured himself a cup of ale, then sat down again, his legs spread out like Elizabeth's had been moments before, so his feet would get warmed up. He looked at her, his expression suddenly serious.

"I've had word from the king."

Elizabeth immediately sat up straighter, knowing that she had to at least pretend to care about what the king had to say.

"What has he said?"

Henry took his time responding by taking a long drink of his ale, while avoiding eye contact with the woman across from him, knowing that he was probably bothering her.

"Well..." Henry trailed off once he had swallowed the ale. "He says that he would like you to stay out here for a bit longer, while he attends to business. He would also like me to continue to stay here to keep you company and ensure that you'll be safe."

Elizabeth began to toy with the ring on her finger, as she always did when she was nervous or lost in thought, then bit down on her bottom lip while she thought about the situation.

"I wonder why he has sent you to 'ensure that I'm safe,' considering you just admitted to Jane and I that you'd be terrible at saving a damsel in distress," Elizabeth replied playfully.

Henry raised an eyebrow, while he smiled mischievously at Elizabeth.

"Ah, well, you admitted moments ago that you would be able to save yourself, so even if I did do an adequate job saving damsels, it seems you wouldn't need my help."

Elizabeth smiled down into her cup of ale, then took a drink out of it.

"I think you should give yourself more credit," Elizabeth replied, as she remembered the numerous times Henry had saved her when she was a prisoner in Sir Richard's home. "You fixed my wrist, did you not?" Elizabeth nodded down at her wrist, speaking of both the first time ten years ago, and the second, more recent time.

"I'm afraid that fixing wrists is my only specialty."

"It looks like you'll have to expand your skills," Elizabeth said with mock seriousness. "While I may excel in rescuing myself, I certainly can't say the same about rescuing others."

"It sounds like we'll need more practice," Henry said.

"Will either of us be in need of rescuing in the near future?"

Henry shrugged. "Stranger things have happened, my lady."

~*~*~*~*~

Hours later, the Duke of Reddon was fast asleep and dreaming of home, when he was awakened by a loud thud. At first, he thought he was imagining the sound, but then he heard it again, followed by a frustrated growl. He got out of bed, involuntarily shivering as he got out of the warm cocoon that his blankets had created. He grabbed his robe off of the bedpost closest to him, then swung it over his shoulders and tied it tight around his body. He pulled his long hair out from beneath the collar of his robe, and moved it so it was out of his face, although he knew that in a matter of minutes, it'd be back in his way, scratching at his face.

Henry opened the door to his room and stuck his head out into the hallway, only to be met by darkness. He blinked a couple of times, hoping his eyes would grow accustomed to the darkness, but it was no use. He picked up one of the well-used candles off of his desk and dipped the wick into the fire going strong in the fireplace, then retreated into the dark hallway once more, his candle creating a small orb of light that hardly lit his way through the unfamiliar house. He held his left hand out in front of him, making sure that he didn't run into anything as he walked.