Eventuality

Depuis le début

Suddenly, two figures entered the living room, catching Marcy's attention. Marcy didn't realise that their parents were home, but now, it was all too clear.

"Marcy," their mother spoke, "We're going to be leaving for a few days. Don't burn anything down. Please." Her eyes fell upon the girl cuddling her child. "And who might you be?"

"Oh I'm Anne, I'm Marcy's..." She turned to Marcy, unsure of what to introduce herself as.

"She's my girlfriend."

"How exciting! I never expected our little Marcy to get a girlfriend! She's always been more of a lone wolf type of gal. I didn't think she even had friends to begin with," Marcy's mother began, forgetting all types of social cues and placing herself right in Anne's space.

"Haha... yeah..." Anne awkwardly chuckled as Marcy looked away, a mix of embarrassment and discomfort plastered on their face. "I really do like them."

"Them? Is there another person that you're seeing?"

"Mom..." Marcy started, unsure of what to say. Yes, there was a third to their chaotic relationship, but at the same time, Marcy was also a singular they.

Anne looked a Marcy, not entirely certain if she should say something.

"It's me, mom. I'm them. Still."

"Oh right, you and your silly pronouns," their mother passed it off as some sort of joke, then looked down at her watch. "Oh, would you look at the time. Your father and I have to get going now. You two girls have fun!" And with that, they promptly left, leaving the two alone again.

They sat in silence for a few moments before Marcy spoke, unprompted.

"Can I live with your parents?"

"Huh? No?"

"Damn, it was worth a shot.

"Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, it's all fine. My parents love me, that much I'm sure about, it's just," they paused for a moment, "they just don't really go about it in the right ways, I guess. And I've tried to tell them that before, but they just always shut it down."

"That sucks."

"Really, it's fine. I just need to figure out a way to get through to them."

"Maybe I could help you. I'm sure Sasha would be willing to as-"

Anne's line of dialogue was cut off by the sound of the doorbell.

"Oh my frog, Sasha's finally here!" They flung the front door open, immediately leaping onto Sasha.

"Hey, you," Sasha smiled down at Marcy, who's face was currently buried in Sasha's chest. "You're sure excited to see me."

"Of course I am!" Marcy's muffled voice sounded. "I haven't seen you in two whole weeks." They remained right where they were for a bit longer, to the point where Sasha picked them up and brought them over to the couch where Anne was still sitting. "Sorry about that, you just smell so nice."

Sasha blushed. "Well, you look nice. Are those new overalls?"

"Mhm!" Marcy hummed. "Anne helped me pick them out."

"You guys went clothes shopping without me? I knew I shouldn't have gone to that family reunion."

"I thought you liked the Oregon coast," Anne said.

"Oh I do, absolutely... but, I missed you guys more than I'd like to admit."

"You should listen to Ricky Montgomery," Marcy quipped.