Chapter 3: Devil's Daughter

Start from the beginning

"Archard!" the woman shouted at him.

He dropped you back to the ground, the legs of your chair rattling uneasily as they had contact with the floor again. Your cheek pulsed with the sting of his hand and even more so with the bruise that was still on it.

"Stop hitting her!"

It was Ded, shouting and kicking angrily in his chair, just like you were. There were tears of anger and frustration pooling in the corner of his eyes. "She hasn't done anything! Claude is my father, so get angry at me if that's what you want!"

"You have no idea what her father's done," grunted the burly man of the group. "He was once one of us—he was supposed to help set Eldians free and reclaim Eldia from these Marley pigs! On the day that he was to help coordinate our efforts the day of our coup, he disappeared! We lost more than three-quarters of our numbers, and now the rest of us are being picked off—like goddamn rats. He's a goddamn murder."

What was this man talking about? Your father would never...he wasn't...

"That's what happens when you trust filthy outsiders," the man beside him, a lither-framed individual with dark eyes, said. He glared at you. "Even if they're your own kind."

You didn't understand...what were these men talking about...

Militia....outsider...

Your father wasn't...

"But she had nothing to do with that!" he kicked out, rattling his chair and causing it to slide some centimeters on the floor. "She's done none of that...! Stop hitting her!"

Dedrich...

"It just means the apple doesn't fall far from the tree," Archard hissed, walking over to Ded and grabbing him by his hair, "Same goes for you. You're just as much of a loudmouth as your father was. Shit...so that bastard's probably burning in hell now."

"We can't just let the kids go either," the burly one said, much to the apparent chagrin of the woman. "They already saw our faces, and we can't risk them going off and telling the guards."

A pit formed in your stomach.

You knew where this was going.

And so did Ded because his eyes were wide with fear and darting to look at yours as soon as he said that.

"You...you can't..."

You couldn't even recognize your voice by how cracked it sounded.

All the men looked at you with hard eyes. The woman looked like the one with some humanity still in her, so you tried to appeal to her.

"You...can't!" You shouted, finding yourself writhing under the tight ropes. "Please...! Our parents....our family....!"

"Not the damn screaming again," Archard hissed, looking over to the men. "Shut her up! Mila, go fetch me a gun."

Holy shit...holy shit...you were going to die.

"No! Please!"

"That's enough out of you!" One of the men stomped over, grabbing your chair to keep it from bumping into the back of the wall. He also placed a hand tight over your mouth to keep you from shouting.

Shit...shit...

You bit down hard enough that your canines pierced his skin, hard enough to draw blood and make him shriek in pain.

You had to...you had to get out of here...you had to live...

You had to. You had to.

You hadn't even begun your life. You hadn't done anything.