[003] a deep wound

┌─────── •✧• ───────┐
CHAPTER THREE
a deep wound
└─────── •✧• ───────┘

┌─────── •✧• ───────┐CHAPTER THREEa deep wound└─────── •✧• ───────┘

( the weirdo on maple street, pt. ii )

• °:.☆ . ₊°• ☆ . ° .• °:. *₊ ° . ☆

BARB'S HEADLIGHTS PENETRATE the dark residential street as her car ambles down the road. The heat doesn't work, so Laura hugs her arms to her chest in an attempt to seek more warmth from her red patterned sweater. Maybe she should've let Nancy lend her a coat. It had been wool, which makes Laura's skin crawl, but she would be a lot warmer if she'd accepted it.

The trio of girls sits in silence for most of the car ride, allowing the radio to fill the empty spaces between them. Laura isn't sure if Barb is upset about being dragged to this party, too. She can only see the back of her head, so she can't even attempt to read her facial expressions.

"Barbara, pull over," Nancy says.

The abruptness of her instruction makes Barb blink. "What?"

"Pull over!"

Though she's clearly confused, she follows the order and puts the car in park. Laura looks around at their surroundings. They'd passed the glow of a street light, so it's much darker on this section of the road, where the large houses are surrounded by patches of forest instead of scrunched together like on their streets. For all she knows, Steve practically lives in another world.

"What are we doing here?" Barb questions. "His house is three blocks away."

"We can't park in the driveway," Nancy says.

"Are you serious?"

"Yeah, the neighbors might see."

"Like any of the neighbors would recognize Barb's car," Laura grumbles, "or much less be able to see anything in the driveway with this many trees."

Nancy scowls a bit at her reasoning, but Barb raises her eyebrows as if to say, 'See? She's got a point.'

"This is so stupid," the redhead says with a shake of her head. "I'm just gonna drop you guys off."

"Calm down, Barb, come on!" Nancy gives her a dazzling smile that would've won Laura over in a heartbeat, because she's pathetic. "You promised Laura that you'd go. You're coming. We're going to have a great time!"

"Don't drag me into this," Laura pipes up from the back seat in an attempt to have some dignity.

"She did promise you," Nancy reminds her.

Laura shoves her index fingers into her ears and pretends to plug them. "La, la, la, la! Can't hear you!"

"He just wants to get in your pants," Barb says when Laura puts her arms down, making her automatically wish she'd kept singing to avoid hearing those words.