Chapter 04

It was a usual afternoon for Asahi. He was being teased by Suga and Daichi who were trailing behind him as he went to visit his artist "friend".

"Come on Asahi, how long are you going to fool yourself? At this point, she's your girlfriend." Daichi began as the taller male stumbled on nothing and almost fell.

The ace's ears were burning from embarrassment as he tried to reason with his closest friends, "How many times do I have to tell you guys? She's just my friend."

Right? They were just friends, right? Asahi kept questioning himself when Suga stated the obvious. "Friends don't sit around storage rooms and touch each other's bodies."

"It's n-not like that." The taller boy defended his case, but it was no help at all. Ever since that day she had watched their practice the whole team hadn't shut their mouths. They still ran around teasing the ace and causing trouble between him and their coach.

"Is the gym on fire?" Hinata's voice echoed through the hallway as he rushed past his teammates and out of the doorway leading to the gym.

"Shit!" The three third years exclaimed as they followed behind the carrot head in a hurry. When Asahi's eyes landed on the black smoke rising from the backside of the gym building, his brain stopped functioning. That was where her atelier/storage room was. Asahi's body was frozen. He couldn't move. What if she was inside? What if she was hurt? Knowing her, she would still be inside trying to salvage any and every painting. "Asahi!" Daichi's heavy hand smacked painfully hard on the taller boy's shoulder and helped him to snap out of his line of thoughts.

"That's Y/N's art club!" The gentle giant shouted not so gently and started running in the direction of the burning atelier. When he got to the site, students had already gathered around the building watching as angry flames ate up the small storage room. The janitors were doing their best as they tried to stop the flames from spreading to the actual gym. And thanks to one of the students, the firefighters were now informed of the situation at Karasuno High school and were on their way.

Where was Y/N? Asahi looked around the crowd in fear, constantly thinking about where the girl could be and if she was safe. A slight shove almost knocked the tall teenager off balance as a blurry figure rushed by him and into the burning room. It was her. Y/N. The next thing he knew was that his body moved on its own.

The world stopped turning for the next few seconds as Asahi held onto her wrist. He knew exactly what she was going to do. "It's not more important than your life." He exclaimed as he forcefully pulled her away from the scorching heat of the burning building.

From the force of his pull, she stumbled and came face to face with the tall teenager. "It is my life." She whispered breathlessly and vanished into the flames. Just like that Asahi was left there, holding onto nothing. He stared at his hand. How could he let her go? How could he let her slip through his finger like that? How? No. He had to do something, he wouldn't let her go like this.

He could hear his friends calling out for him to stop, but he didn't stop. He ran straight into the fires. In those seconds Asahi felt invincible. For the first time in his life, he had done something without anyone asking him to do so. He had chosen to follow after a girl he barely knew. This was his choice. And his choice was to protect her at all costs.

"What the fuck are you doing Asahi?" Y/N roared as she thrashed around looking for something. "Get the fuck out of here!" She demanded, but the boy didn't listen. Both their cheeks were flushed from the immense heat surrounding them and their bodies were covered with a sheen of sweat.

Asahi's eyes fell on a sight like no other, the pile that consisted of his portraits was now a mountain of pure fire. His eyes stared at the countless hours of work and passion that were being destroyed as he asked, "What are you looking for?"