Chapter Eight

"Have you seen Inosuke anywhere?"

You turned to Kotoha and immediately figured out that she's lost her son, seeing how troubled she looked. "What happened?" You asked, gesturing her to sit by your side.

"I- I lost Inosuke..." She mumbled then broke into tears. "I don't know how- it's just that I came and... and he was nowhere to be seen!"

You reluctantly patted her shoulder in reassurance, seeing how hopeless she was. "We'll find him, don't worry." You said calmly. "Everyone will look around for him, and we won't stop till we find him."

As you promised to find him, Douma gathered all the servants at that instant. "My sister lost her child, does any of you have any idea where he is?" You asked, examining each of their reactions. "If any of you knows anything at all I'd like for you to step in and inform us."

Everyone was silently bowing, and you were displeased by the lack of answers to your questions. "Whoever finds the child will receive blessings from our dear Douma-sama."

According to your plan, the servants started offering to help find little Inosuke, and each gave the simplest details about where they've seen him last and more.

You turned to Douma with an apologetic look, but he seemed to not care as he continued staring blankly at his servants with his usual insincere smile.

"Well then, start looking for little Inosuke, the child of Kotoha-chan!" Douma announced. "You're dismissed."

"Thank you for your help." Kotoha said, smiling a weak smile.

Just as the servants started looking for the baby outside, you searched your quarters for him while Douma and Kotoha searched the other rooms over and over again.

"I didn't find him." You sighed. "He must've left the temple... let's hope the servants can find him."

Hearing that, tears welled up in Kotoha's eyes as her heart started beating rapidly. "I- It's him! He took him!" She panicked, with pure rage in her eyes. "He came back and took Inosuke!"

"Who exactly?" You asked cluelessly.

"You know who! That man!" She said, but you still had no idea who she was referring to. "A horrible person!"

Suddenly, it occurred to you that she might be referring to her deceased husband. "Hashibira-san?" You asked, tilting your head in confusion, then shifted your gaze towards Douma who gave you a blank look.

"Don't worry! He left and never came back!" Douma reassured her. "And... it could be because I killed him the last time he came!" A chuckle escaped his lips at the last part of the sentence.

Suddenly, her eyes softened as she let out a sigh of relief. "Thank you, Douma-sama..." She thanked him excessively, bowing in respect.

"That was certainly unexpected... but demons are vengeful creatures after all."

-

The next day, the servants came back to the temple by sunset with their heads hanging down and tears in their eyes. "We couldn't find him..." One of them spoke.

"Then go look for him again." You scoffed, crossing your arms. "And don't come back until he's found."

"Yuki-san! Please listen!" They insisted. "W- We would have found him right away under normal circumstances!"

"I'm listening... go on."

"Yuki-san... We..." Someone spoke, then went silent, letting out a heavy sigh of grief.