Chapter Twenty-Six: Happy Campers

Start from the beginning

"You're not even gonna consider going to camp? I'll drive you." He shrugs.

"And then you'd be stuck in Salt Lake by yourself, job hunting." I point out, feeling guilty.

He shakes his head, "I need a break from that, so I could stay in the area, camp is usually only about 2 weeks anyway."

My brows furrow, considering, "Really?"

"Yeah!" He insists, nodding, "Don't worry about me, okay? Or Mom and Benjamin. Or literally anything else. Go have fun with your friends!"

My eyes narrow as if negotiating, "As long as you don't tell Mom about my gorgeous outfits that she'd kill me for wearing."

"Feminism." Damian declares, implying that he will not tell. We share a laugh and high-five.

************************************************

*********************"Need help?" I question, shutting the passenger side door

"Need help?" I question, shutting the passenger side door.

"Nope," Damian assures, "I got the luggage, I have to call Kat anyway. Just go in there before you change your mind." He jokingly insists, pulling out his phone.

I playfully roll my eyes, before walking over to the entry where a large, wooden sign greeted me; the one that had Camp Shallow Lake perfectly carved out.

I shut my eyes, accepting my fate before I took another step; the step that would lead me into camp.

(Bianca: in front of the sign)

She sighs, crossing her arms, "After two summers of EJ begging me to go to this, apparently magical, camp, fate has brought me on its own.."

She rolls her eyes, scoffing a laugh, "That is, if "fate" is another word for my dad abandoning me. And Damian and his car. The car ride was nice, we talked about things that made us both need therapy. I even told him about my boy troubles."

The sun was going down, and a girl with dirty blonde hair—wearing a camp T-shirt—was clearing the welcome table. She was too focused on loading up a wagon to notice me.

I soon realized she wasn't alone when she called out, "Hey, Rocket Man?"

"Yeah, Gadget?" Appeared EJ along with his voice, peering up from beneath the table as he rummaged through a bucket of phones.

"All the phones in there?" She questions.

"Yeah. Which is surprising, considering someone always tries to sneak their phone." He chuckles gently, standing up.

I step away from the sign, finally entering campgrounds, deciding this would be the perfect time for a corny announcement.

"Got room for one more?" I grin, approaching the table.

EJ gasps, greeting me with a wide grin and open arms, "Are my eyes deceiving me?!"

I huff a sarcastic laugh, "Unfortunately not." matching his enthusiastic tone, before accepting the hug.