The Bidai Tribe (Part 4)

Liluye scraped a few more handmade beads into the basket while she continued laughing at her granddaughter's rant.

"And then there we stood, waiting for him to just give it to us, but the boy became so confused, he forgot why we were there in the first place," she rolled her eyes. "Boys must be the -"

"Must be the most wonderful things walking; is that what you were about to say?"

Otter Man poked a finger down into the basket the females shared and twirled the beads about to take a better look.

"No, Grandfather, I was not going to say anything even close to that," she rolled the bead on her thin stick. "You would have laughed, it was funny."

"One day, he and all the other boys, will come to remember why you stand at their doors. And then," he winked at his wife, "that's when the real trouble begins."

Rolling her eyes again, she grinned. "Let us hope we are not old and wrinkled by the time it happens!"

"I understand how you feel, child," Otter Man nodded solemnly, his eyes resting on the top of his wife's head. "I was afraid of the same thing."

Liluye lifted her chin and flopped her head back to get a better look at his face.

"Was it worth the wait?"

He crouched down next to her with a forefinger pressed into his chin, contemplating his answer.

"I don't know about that ..."

Their granddaughter chucked a bead at him and snorted. "I bet you better say yes, or she may not share that turtle soup tonight," she teased back.

Patting his wife on her back, he stood up again and turned to stir the cooking pot.

"That reminds me, Wife. Have you asked your son to eat with us tonight?"

"Grandmother tells me there is a surprise for my brother?"

Otter Man nodded and then sipped from the stirring gourd, blowing on the contents first.

"I would like to give him something, but want to pass the thought before your father first. We are certain the gift will be pleasing," he lifted an eyebrow. "So pleasing, in fact, perhaps your brother would like to also bring Rocks In Hand?"

Giggling, their granddaughter shook her head.

"Oh, Grandfather! We haven't called her by that name since she was a little girl; we call her River Woman now, and why should we bring her for the evening meal?"

She knew why. Her brother had been courting the girl for so long now, people had begun speaking among themselves that something must be wrong for the young ones not to have married yet. Of course, she grinned to herself, perhaps he takes the same manner of thinking as their grandmother and wishes to wait until he is -

Otter Man waved a hand in front of her face.

"Are you sleeping?"

She wiped her hands together and shook her head, focusing back on the conversation at hand.

"No, I am awake, Grandfather. And I am also leaving. If you want me to gather all these people into your home tonight, I must be on my way," she stood. "Can I leave my things here?"

Liluye nodded and pointed at one of the empty baskets hanging on the wall. "That one will be yours to fill as you see fit," she affirmed.

Dipping the heavy brown soup from the kettle, Liluye emptied the gourd a second time into the serving dish and handed it to her son's wife; steam rising from the dish caught the fragrance of their meal as the woman carried servings to all the guests. Bits of garlic, onion, tomato and chicken eggs sloshed around the finely cut pieces of simmered turtle and once she carried her own serving, her mouth finally began to water.

Silence overtook the home for a few moments as the sounds of satisfaction eased out with each mouthful.

"So good, Liluye," her son's wife compimented. "Can I come here to live?"

Gulping down the bite in his mouth, her son raised a hand.

"Can I come back home, too?"

Otter Man picked up the basket containing the flattened tándshai bread and offered it to River Woman.

"Have you tried this? I made it myself," he proudly announced. "What do you like to cook?"

Not expecting that particular question right at that moment, River Woman's face pinched in slight discomfort; truth be told, she had not learned much in the way of the kettle.

"I can boil water," the young woman confided. "With supervision."

Otter Man nodded. "When you have a home of your own, you will learn. Your husband will help you," he added with a nod of the head toward his eldest grandson. "And this is the reason Liluye and I have invited you, our family, to eat this turtle soup with us. It has come to our attention that the two of you have been contemplating marriage. Is this so?"

The old man caught them both off guard; blushing at the fact that he spoke so openly about the matter, neither of them could find enough courage to say anything in response. They barely glanced at one another, instead, dug a bit deeper into their dishes.

Liluye's son licked his eating utensil one more time and motioned for his wife to scoop up more for him, then turned to his attention to the courting couple.

"This is a happy talk! Do not be ashamed, we are family," he waved a hand at the group sitting in clumps around the fire in the center of the home. "You must feel free to speak."

When he reached up to accept his second serving of soup, he smiled at his wife; the stern look in her eyes cautioning him to tread carefully and not cause embarrassment.

"Son, what your family would like to know is, what prevents this union between you and River Woman?" He turned his head toward her and reached out to touch her arm. "You know we already see you as part of the family," his eyes softened.

"Yes, I know," she nodded. "You are my family."

Taking a deep breath, Otter Man rose to a standing position and held out both hands.

"Would you step into marriage if you already had a home waiting for you?"

With faces turning toward the old man now, he grinned.

"Ah, now we hear an offer is about to be made," a sly grin spread across his slightly wrinkled lips. "The thought has come into my head that the village has recently acquired an empty home when I married Liluye."

His eyes met those of his eldest grandson.

"It is yours if you wish to create a home of your own in it. You may take it this night."

River Woman blushed at what she knew was to be intended as their wedding gift from Grandfather.

"Thank you," they readily accepted almost in unison.

"My mother will be so happy," she told everyone.

As the family parted ways with hugs and cheeks being kissed, Grandfather took his grandson to the side and handed him a large jar.

"What is this for?"

The old man winked, remembering a conversation with Liluye.

"You'll need something to carry her water in."