Cracks in the Glass

Start from the beginning

"And Jack?" Stopping next to her table, he pursed his lips. "I thought he was in here, too."

"No." Sam shook her head. "He accompanied Doctor Carter to the infirmary."

Daniel's clear blue eyes seemed to be able to look right through her. Blowing out a steep breath, he turned his body and leaned sideways, his elbow resting on the table. "So?"

"So, what?"

"Come on, Sam." He grinned, kindly, a dimple marking one cheek. "Don't be obtuse."

Her answering expression was sheepish. "I know. It's just that people keep asking me how I'm doing with all of this, and I have no idea what to say. I don't even know."

His gaze was steady. "Are you comfortable working with her?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" But she knew he would see through that convenient answer. She inhaled deeply. "Honestly? I don't know. You can't prepare for it. How could you? Who would have thought this was going to happen?"

"And who would have thought that she'd have married him?"

She hadn't expected that of Daniel, thinking that he would skirt the issue—flatly deny it even existed—rather than confront it with such suddenness. An image of the Colonel flashed through her mind—standing, hands in his pockets, his face uncharacteristically serious as he'd approached her in the hall. His gaze had been an appraisal, more than anything else. Assessment mixed with concern. He'd been sincere. She had to give him that.

"And how are you with this twin thing?" He'd asked. He'd seemed almost painfully serious.

"Do you have a couple of hours?" Her smile had felt false even to herself. Flippant, somehow, through her forced cheerfulness.

"Different universes. Different choices." Sam tried to smile, but lost impetus half way there and ended up with a vague twitch of her lips, instead.

"It's just interesting that in both alternate realities with which we've had contact, the alternate you and the alternate Jack were together."

"Yes, but in neither of those was the alternate me in the military."

"Doesn't that make you question a few things?" Daniel's voice dropped to almost a whisper.

"What do you mean, Daniel?"

He frowned. "Come on, Sam." Angling his gaze at her, he fixed the Major in his focus. "Let's not play this game. I know how it is between the two of you."

"There's nothing between us. There can't be." She grimaced. "You know that."

His expression told her he'd expected her to say that. "Sam. I've seen the way you two look at each other. How you gravitate towards each other. How you are together. As a student of humanity, I tend to observe these things."

"As a student of humanity, you know that there are issues there." She steeled her spine, sitting stiffly on the stool. "And choices that sometimes have to be made."

"Choices that clearly go against the natural progression of things?" Daniel folded his arms across his chest. "Sam, really. Engaged in one reality. Married in another. And I know that without these stupid regulations, you would be—"

"Daniel, please." Sam stood. "Please don't."

"But you both want—"

"Stop. Not even we know that."

"Have you talked about it?"

The corners of her mouth drew tight. "You know we can't."

"I know you won't." Daniel's eyes flew wide behind his lenses. "There's a difference."