Chapter 3

When they entered the attic, Max went back under the light where there flashlights had gone kablooey just a few nights before. The lantern light glowed am almost blinding blue for a few seconds, and then stopped. "What are you waiting for asshole? Hmm? I'm right here. I'm right here!" Max is so upset. She just wants to get this all over with already.

"I know you can hear me. I know you can read my thoughts. Even the worst ones." Max pauses and thinks for a second, then continues, "Maybe mostly the worst ones." She set the light down on a chest in front of her and took her headphones and walkman off and set them down on another chest. And then she sat down in front of the light to have a talk with Vecna. 

 "I thought about what you said. About how I wanted my brother to die. I thought that you were just trying to upset me. To anger me. But you weren't, were you? You were just telling the truth. Billy, he made my life living hell. Every chance he got. ? So, sometimes when I would lie in bed at night I would... I would pray... I would pray that something would happen to him. Something awful. I knew that he drove to fast so I would imagine him crashing, dying in that stupid car. I just- I wanted him out of my life. Forever. I wanted him to disappear. The day that he died, I think that's why I just stood there, watched. Not because I was scared or weak. But because I didn't know if he deserved to be saved." It was then that Max realized she had to confront her demons. Her darkest demons. She was trying to hold back her tears as she continued, "and I've tried to forgive myself. I've tried but I can't. I can't. So now, now when I lie in bed at night, I pray that something will happen to me. That something terrible will happen to me. So that's why I'm here. Because I just want you to take me away. And I want you to make me disappear." 

Max was trying to process everything that she had just admitted and everything she was feeling when she heard a voice. But it wasn't Vecna's. No this was a very familiar voice. A voice she knew very well. Lucas. "Is that all true? You wanted Billy to die." Panicked because this could ruin their whole plan, Max said, "Why are you talking?" But Lucas only ignored her and continued on with what he was saying. "You ever have thoughts like that about me?" Shocked by Lucas's words, Max scrambled to her feet to assure Lucas that that wasn't true by saying, "What? No, Lucas, never." But instead of the loving and caring Lucas she knew, he was hostile. "Normal people don't fantasize about killing other people, Max. You realize that, right?" Max was begging Lucas to believe her. "Lucas, please." But still nothing in response. He was being so cruel. 

"I thought you were getting better. But you're not, are you? You are sick." Max was so scared. This wasn't her Lucas. "Lucas, you don't mean that." But still he kept ignoring what she was saying. "Maybe it is good he takes you. Maybe it's for the best. In fact, I'm glad it's going to be you." His next words came out in a distorted, sinister voice. "You will be the chosen one. The fourth. The final sacrifice. It is going to be you that breaks the world." That's when Max realized that this was not her Lucas. This was Vecna.

Back in the real world, Lucas was frantically asking Max if she could hear him to which he got no response. This was happening and Lucas was scared. Max was in and distracting Vecna and it was up to the rest of the gang to kill him. If that plan failed, Max was dead.

In Max's mind, Vecna continued, "Max. Where are you going? Don't be scared." "Stay away from me." Max said in as calm a tone as she could muster. "Max, I thought you said you were ready. Ready to disappear!" Max grabbed a glass vase from beside her and hit Vecna, who was still in the form of Lucas, on the head and yelled, "I said, stay away!" And then Max ran. She ran down the stairs and to the front door but when she opened it, there were boards across it. She was trapped. At least from escaping that way. Vecna appeared at the top of the stairs and said, "Where are you going, Maxine?" Max ran from the front door and to another door. She ran to every door she could find and everyone of them was boarded up. But when she opened another door, it wasn't boarded up. Instead, it was the door to a sauna. The same sauna they trapped Billy in last year. 

Max turned to run back through the other doorway, only to find it had been boarded up. So now was her time to run to the light. She took a deep breath in and focused on her happy memory. She heard Billy yelling at her and pounding on the door but she ignored it and continued to think of her happy memory. And when she opened her eyes, she was there. She was at the Snowball of '84. She looked around her and she couldn't believe it. "Holy shit." she said to herself. She chuckled. She couldn't believe it had worked.

She went and put a record onto the record player. Every Breath You Take by The Police was playing through the speakers of the deserted Hawkins Middle gym. She then went and sat a table and relived every memory she had from that amazing night. The best part: her first kiss with Lucas. But she was starting to get antsy.

What was taking so long? She had been there quite a while already and Lucas hadn't tried to get her out yet. All of a sudden, she heard a loud bang behind her. She jumped out of her chair with a squeal of fear and looked at what it was. A balloon had popped. But it had left something behind: blood. More and more balloons started popping and with every pop, there would be blood splattered wherever the balloon had been. And then the music on the record got distorted and started playing a different song. Dream a Little Dream of Me. The Snowball poster started turning a disturbing reddish orange color and streamers started falling down from where they were hanging. The flowers started wilting. And the weird particles from the Upside Down started falling all around her. The lights went out in the gym. Then she heard a loud boom of thunder which made her jump and turn around. She looked out the windows of the gym and then saw a flash of red lightning. And that's when she knew. She knew Vecna had found her.