Chapter 4: Jumping to conclusions

~ Mara's POV ~

Sunday's rolled around again and I still haven't heard from him. I've decided that I don't need him in my life. I'm obviously much better off without him.

But am I really?

I stepped off the tube and made my way to the radio station. UGH, do I really have to face him againt today? I crossed my fingers and prayed a collective prayer to any powers that may exist.

"Please let him be sick, or on holiday, maybe even dead, just don't make me face him today!"

I walked into the entrance of the radio station. After punching in and getting some other tasks done, I made my way up to recording room 4. I walked in and...

PHEW, only the producersof the show were here. No sign of Dan, no problem!

"Good afternoon!" I said plastering the most realistic smile on my face as I possible could.

God, I'm so miserable.

I go to the counter and start orgabizin some paperwork when I hear the door open behind me. I somehow manage to look up just as he stumbles through the door...

DAN.
FUCKING.
HOWELL.

He just stands there, staring at me with an intensely gentle look in his eyes. I dont want to give him the satisfaction of knowing his gaze made me uncomfortable so I stare back at him with a pissy look on my face, trying to convey the message that I don't want ANYTHING to do with him. We stay this way for a minute, locked in each othera gazes. He just gives me this look that screams "Please forgive me?"

Should I forgive him?

NO

Not after the hell he put me through. Not after he broke his promise. I dont think I want a person like that in my life. I just give him the same pissy look I gave him before and turn back around to continue my paperwork.

I hear him sigh behind me and put his stuff down.

"Good afternoon everyone!" Phil exclaims cheerily as he bounces into the room. "Oh, hi Mara! How are you?"

"Im okay, thanks. How are you Phil?" I say trying to mask my frustration.

"Im fantastic, thank you for asking!" he says merrily as he sets his bag down on the counter.

Dan looks at me shyly with a slight smile of hope on his face. "Hi Mara, how has your week been?"

"To be completely honest with you, it was pretty crappy, but I guess thanks for asking anyways Mr. Howell." I say smugly.

"Oh, I'm sorry. You know you can call me Dan instead of Mr. Howell. Well, if you'd like..."

"No thank you. I prefer Mr. Howell much better."

"Oh... um, okay." He says gently scratching the back of his neck. He looks really disappointed that I didn't respond with open arms. I guess I hurt his feelings, but why should I care?

~ After the radio show ~

"Thanksfor listening and tune in nextweek if you want some more Dan and Phil in your life!" Phil exclaimed into the microphone. "Bye!"

"Bye!" Said Dan as he took off his headphones and set them down gingerly on the counter in front of him. He watch me carefully as I grabbed my stuff from the table I had been sitting at for the past two hours and headed out the door. "Bye! See you tomorrow morning. I'll bring the coffee!" I exclaimed through the extremely fake smile onto my face. I walked out the door and got halfway down the hallway before I heard a door open behind me.

"Mara! Wait!" Dan yelled, running down the hallway after me. I just kept walking towards the elevator. All of a sudden I felt a hand on my shoulder and he spun me around and held me tightly by both shoulders, basically ensuring that O would have no escape.

"We need to talk." He said all out of breath.

"No we don't Dan, you know what you did. Why should I forgive you?"

"Because its not what you think!" He said frantically reaching into his pocket and pulling out a plastic bag.

"Last week I dropped my cell phone in a puddle and it broke. I went to the shop and they said it would take a week to fix it, but yesterday when I went to go get it, they told me it was completely shot and that I'd have to get a new one. That's why I didn't call you. It's not that I didn't want to, it's that I couldn't?" As he said that he looked as though a weight had been taken off of his shoulders.

"I just looked at him. My frown faded as I looked into his eyes. They are so...

Beautiful.

"Oh Dan! I'm so sorry I jumped to conclusions." I exclaimed pulling him in for a hug. I inhaled his scent and let it overwhelm me.

Wow, he smells good too!

"It's fine!" Dan said, sighing. "I wish I could've told you sooner. I knew it was me breaking my promise that ruined your week. I'm so sorry." He squeezed me tighter, almost like he didn't want to let me go.

"It's ok! I promise it wasn't just that that ruined my week."

He released me and we stood there, staring into each others eyes.

"So, Mara. Do you think, maybe you'd like to come over for dinner? Like... Tonight?" He said as he nervously scratched the back of his head.

"You mean, like a date? I said, blushing as red as a fire truck.

"Yeah!" His eyes lit up, and a smile broke out onto his face. "A date!"

"Dan... I'd love to; but-"

"Oh... Okay. Sorry." Disappointed, he started to walk away.

"But I'll need a few hours to get ready. Mind if I come over at 8:00?" I said, smiling ear to ear.

He turned around and gave me a dirty look but then started to laugh. "Awesome! I'll see you at our date at eight!" He said, drawing a laugh from both of us.

"See you then!" I said, stepping into the lift and letting the heavy metal doors close behind me.

A date...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guyssss...

Sorry I haven't updated in a while... I've had exams alllllllllllll week. I finally got to sit down and finish this chapter. I promise there will be a new one soon.
Byeee!
-Alyssa ✌