Chapter 14: Dig Dug

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry. You ate my cat," Dustin shouted at the cellar doors, presumably to Dart. I chuckled at his comment, then remembered his cat.

"Dustin..." I stated.

"Yeah?" He questioned.

"You're gonna have to do something really unpleasant."

I wrapped Dustin's cat's body in a blanket and dumped it in the hole that we dug. I turned on my walkie-talkie and began trying to get the attention of one of our friends while Dustin buried the corpse of his cat.

"Hey guys, it's Y/n again, does anyone copy? This is a code red," I shouted into the walkie, "I repeat, a code red! I really need someone to pick up here. Hopper is MIA, and I've got a code red." I looked over at Dustin and let out an exasperated sigh. He shrugged and went back to burying his cat.

"It's Y/n again. Seriously, I have a code red!" I announced.

"Could you please shut up?" The voice of Lucas's little sister, Erica, caught my attention.

"Erica? Erica is Lucas there? Where is he?" I frantically asked.

"Don't know. Don't care."

"Is he with Mike?"

"Like I said I don't know and I don't care."

"I have something super important to tell him. Please tell him I have a-"

"Code red?"

"Yes, exactly!"

"Well, I got a code for you instead. It's called code shut-your-mouth." The walkie-talkie went silent. I sat there, utterly dumbfounded.

"Erica?" I questioned. I looked over at Dustin with a "what the fuck" look. He shrugged and patted the grave with his shovel.

"I'm done," He announced. I sighed and thought about our options. Then, it dawned on me.

"We should go to Mike's," I suggested, "Everyone might be there, it's where we normally hang out." Dustin nodded.

"Off to Mike's we go!"

We arrived at the Wheeler household and knocked on the door impatiently. I sighed and tapped my foot with anxiety, knowing that we'd have to tell the guys about Dart. To my surprise, Mr. Wheeler answered the door.

"Your line has been busy for over two hours, Mr. Wheeler. Do you realize this?" Dustin annoyedly questioned.

"Oh, I do realize," Mr. Wheeler responded.

"Is Mike home?" Dustin asked.

"No."

"Well, where the hell is he?" I angrily inquired.

"Karen, where is our son?" Mr. Wheeler called within his house. He listened for a moment then turned back to us, "Will's."

"No one's picking up there," I sighed.

"Nancy. What about Nancy?" Dustin questioned.

"Karen, where's Nancy?" Another pause, "Ally's." I let out an annoyed and exhausted sigh.

"Our children don't live here anymore. You didn't know that?" Mr. Wheeler sarcastically asked.

"Son of a bitch. You're really no help at all, you know that?" I muttered as Dustin and I walked off his porch.

"Language!" Mr. Wheeler shouted. Strangely, I spotted Steve getting out of his car with a bouquet of roses and muttering to himself. Dustin and I looked at each other, then back at Steve, we had a plan brewing.

"Steve!" I yelled, catching his attention.

"Are those for Mr. or Mrs. Wheeler?" Dustin asked.

"No," Steve replied with confusion.

"Good," I responded, snatching the flowers out of his hands.

"Hey. What the hell?" He questioned as I walked towards his car, "Hey!"

"Nancy's not home," I stated, opening his car door.

"Where is she?"

"It doesn't matter, we have bigger problems than your love life," I sassed.

"Do you still have that bat?" Dustin questioned.

"Yeah, we do," I responded, hopping in the passenger seat of Steve's car as Dustin hopped in the back.

"What bat? And is this where you've been all day?" Steve indignantly asked.

"Steve, just get in the damn car and we'll explain everything!" I shouted, slamming the door. Steve sighed and hopped into the driver's seat. As he drove, we explained the whole Dart situation and why we needed the bat with the nails hammered into it. He agreed to help us but was pissed that I had gotten involved in yet another alternate dimension ordeal.