Chapter 14: Dig Dug

Dustin and I rushed out of his room and slammed the door shut. I peeked my head around the corner of the hallway in search of Ms. Henderson. She was still searching the house for Dustin's cat. I pointed at the bathroom door and Dustin nodded. We entered the bathroom and both let out deep sighs.

"Holy shit," I muttered.

"Dart's a baby Demogorgon!" Dustin whisper-yelled.

"Okay, we need a plan."

"Yes, a plan."

"You get your mom out of the house somehow tomorrow. I'll come over and we can trap Dart."

"Where will we trap him?"

"Don't you have that old storm cellar?"

"Yeah."

"Perfect, we'll lure him there with like meat or nougat or something."

"Okay... Okay... Okay..."

"Everything's gonna be fine. Everything is totally going to be one hundred percent peachy!"

The next morning, I anxiously awaited Dustin's call. I hadn't been able to sleep for most of the night, my brain was too busy coming up with thousands of ways our plan could go wrong to let me sleep. I leaned back on my bed and flipped through one of the reptile books that Dustin and I stole.

"Y/n, do you copy?" Dustin's voice caused me to snap into action as I tossed the book aside and grabbed the walkie.

"I copy, I'm on my way," I hastily responded.

"Show up in armor, I'll see you when you get here. Over and out," Dustin replied. I nodded, armor. I grabbed my old bike helmet that I finally found after almost a year of it being missing, my fake chest plate from when I was a medieval knight for Halloween in fifth grade, and some knee pads that I bought on sale when I got my skateboard. I suited up and rode off to battle.

I knocked on Dustin's door to see him dressed in hockey gear. We both chuckled at each other's appearances and he let me in. I placed pieces of bologna in a trail to the storm cellar, while Dustin cleaned his cat's blood out of the carpet in his bedroom.

"Okay, go wait in the shed, I'll meet you out here the second I open my bedroom door," Dustin instructed after we finished everything. I nodded and headed out to his shed. It was made out of wood planks with just enough space in between that you could peek outside if you got close enough, and it was tiny. I anxiously waited for Dustin to meet me as dozens of horrible thoughts ping-ponged throughout my head.

"Shit! Shit! Shit! Shit! Shit!" I heard a familiar voice panic. I let out a breath of relief knowing that Dustin hadn't been mauled to death by Dart. He quickly met me in the shed and slammed the door behind him. I wrapped him in a big hug once I knew we were safe.

"It felt like you were gone forever, I thought Dart had gotten you," I muttered.

"I'm okay," He hugged back, "Don't worry. Let's just make sure we get him in that damn cellar." Dustin pulled away and peeked through the slats of the shed, I looked through a different place and watched as Dart ate every piece of meat. He cautiously approached the entrance of the cellar and sniffed the ground for a moment, before snapping his attention towards Dustin and me, and screeching. I went into flight or fight mode and grabbed a shovel that was lying around Dustin's shed. I kicked the door open and chased Dart into the cellar, hitting him with the shovel and knocking him down the steps. I hastily closed the door and leaned against it. Dustin ran out of the shed and handed me the lock. I placed it on the door handles and let out a sigh of relief.