ꜰᴏᴜʀ : ʜᴀᴛʀᴇᴅ

Emery sat on the couch, trying to think of a way to confront Jeremiah. Here were some of her ideas.

1. Going up to Jeremiah and yelling loudly, "Hey fuck-face! Did you cheat on me?"

2. Pulling him aside and saying something like, "So, I don't know if this is true, but I heard you cheated on me?"

3. Texting him, this exactly. "heard a rumor that u cheated on me?"

Yeah, it wasn't going well. Everyone else was occupied doing something else. Conrad was talking to Laurel and the author guy, Cleveland, and Daisy was hanging out with Jeremiah and Steven. She was rubbing small, calming circles on the palm of her hand with her index finger. Susannah had taken her to get her nails done, so they were white but kept short because long nails always annoyed her.

Yes, she didn't know if it was true, but what if it was? And the worst part was that deep down, she expected this. She never thought someone like Jeremiah would actually ever like her in the past, but when he kissed her, it changed everything. But it was Jeremiah Fisher. He was popular, hot, funny and just amazing, while Emery was not.

"What's up?" Emery turned to Conrad, who was plopping himself right next to her. She straightened her posture, trying to act normal.

She cleared her throat, "Nothing."

Conrad looked over at the girl, he had this look that said, 'yea right.' Which, yeah, he had this expression a lot. "Come on, I can tell somethings wrong." Emery made a confused expression, and Conrad sighed. Shaking his head lightly. "Let me list the reasons why I know, not think, know your upset. Your sitting by yourself, you looked upset earlier when Belly was going to her date, which I know you wouldn't have acted like if you weren't upset, your rubbing circles on your palms, which you do when your upset, and your eyes a little bit red."

She rubbed her eyes, were they red? She sighed, shaking her head. "It's nothing Connie. I'm just overreacting." He grabbed her hand, squeezing it. She felt tingles going up her arm, and a fluttery feeling in her stomach. She and Connie have held hands plenty of times, why does this feel different.

"Just tell me, and I'll see if your overreacting or not."

She sighed, looking away. "I can't. You'll get mad." Conrad furrowed his eyebrows, turning his body towards her.

"Why would I be mad?" He was practically interrogating her at this moment, which made her a bit nervous.

"Because he- nothing, it's just a rumor." Shit.

"Who's he? What rumor? Did Jeremiah do something?"

"Yes- I mean, no." What the fuck is wrong with me.

Conrad looked over to Jeremiah angerly, standing up, but Emery grabbed his hand and pulled herself up to stand with him. "Don't, seriously. I'll tell you, just-" She glanced at Jeremiah then the door.

Emery looked back at Conrad, "Let's just go outside, please?" Conrad closed his eyes, cooling himself down. Wondering what the fuck Jeremiah did to Emery.

He nodded and they walked outside, which Jeremiah watched them do with jealousy. "What are they doing?" He asked Steven and Daisy, still looking at the door they just walked out of.

"Who knows, but Emery was in a really bad mood earlier." Daisy mumbled, still placing books onto the shelf.

"Why?"

Daisy gave him a weird look, "I thought you would know." She mumbled, glancing at the door.

--

Conrad and Emery sat on the beach, she dragged him far away from the book store so they could be alone, and so Jeremiah wouldn't be able to eavesdrop without her being able to tell. Emery was sitting so that the water could flow over her feet. It was cold, but calming.