19 | From Hell To Heaven, Pt. 1

Start from the beginning

She guffawed at his denial. "Okay, you're not." There was a short pause with the only sounds coming from the bluetooth radio. Irish rubbed a hand over her growling tummy. "I'm hungry."

"Shoulda ate that oatmeal I made at the house before we left. Now, look at ya."

Slapping his arm with the back of her hand, she responded, "Shut up. I don't eat that nasty stuff and you know it. I'm finna call daddy and ask can we stop at Popeyes or something at the next exit."

Michael wore a disgusted look on his visage. One thing that he and Irish would never share in common is their choice of fast food chicken aside from Chick Fil A. "Nah, KFC where it's at. You know this. Don't nobody eat that other shit."

"Boy!" She waved him off, bringing her phone to her left ear as it rang a few times before her mother's voice answered.

"Yeah, baby?"

"Ma, ask daddy can we stop to get something to eat somehwere. I'm hungry."

Chauncey relayed the message to her husband, and Irish could distinctively hear her father's voice in the background. "There's a couple places coming up on the next exit in about thirteen miles. He said we can stop there."

"Alright. Thanks, Ma."

"You're welcome, baby."

The call ended as Irish dropped her phone in her lap and looked over at her husband. "Whatever they got, we're eating. If there's a Popeye's, we're getting it."

"And if there's a KFC, we're gettin' it, and there's nothin' you gon' be able to do about it," he retorted. The corners of his lips curved upwards into a smirk. "Don't forget I'm the man of this marriage."

"You may be that, but don't forget happy wife equals happy life. I'll raise hell over what I want."

"See, I'm not gon' even play with yo' ass. You got that." He turned to look at her with a silly grin plastered on his handsome face as she hummed, knowing she would always have the upper hand.

_____

About fifteen minutes later, everyone pulled into the parking lot of Popeyes one by one. Michael groaned with the intention of Irish hearing it, making her laugh at his childishness. Exiting the SUV, they followed behind her parents, Naima and Shahid into the semi-vacant fast food restaurant. Each couple took their orders and found a table to sit and enjoyed a quick lunch.

Minutes into their eating and small talk, Irish recieved a FaceTime call from Isla. She removed the left Airpod from its case, placing it in her ear canal and answered. "Hey, Twin!" She smiled at the camera, but when she saw how horribly Isla's appearance looked, it faltered immediately. "Lala, is everything okay? You don't look so good."

"I'm okay." She winced, adjusting herself in the bed. "Just in a little pain."

Michael grabbed her attention by tapping his foot against hers and mouthed "is that Isla?" and she nodded. She announced to everyone that Isla was on the phone and through the speaker she could hear the many variations of hello.

"Are you not comfortable? Did you take some morphine?"

"No. I've been trying not to depend on that as much but today calls for me to pop one of them. This shit ain't no joke."