iv. Running illegal gigs

Start from the beginning

Lilith ripples from one relationship to the next—never sure of what she's looking for, though it's always someone new.

Tonight Henry seems particularly in a good mood, Lilith can't be bothered to feel the same.

He's handsome, she supposes, except when he's happy. She prefers the bored look on his face, it reminds her of herself.

Henry has dark hair and nice hazel eyes. He's tall and towers over Lilith who's already of decent height. He also lets her pick who they eat and has a lavish apartment overlooking the Eiffel Tower. He's one of the better demons she's been with.

Henry has come here to tell her something that might finally make her like the club again.

"See those two over there?" Henry asks, nodding his head towards the far side of the club. Lilith glances to where he pointed, she sees a couple. "He's the one who killed the Slayer."

"Boxer rebellion?"

"That exact same one," Henry says. "Beautiful work."

Henry, like many vampires, thinks highly of Spike. It's not something one often does, killing a slayer that is.

The first time Lilith heard what this vampire had done she thought it was bullshit. "What's that funny name he goes by?"

"Spike."

Lilith grimaces at the name. "I'll have to greet our hero then."

Henry scoffs. "Heroes don't kill slayers."

Lilith chuckles in voiceless agreement, then she gives Spike another once over. His head is on the crook of his girlfriend's neck, they seem to be exchanging sweet nothings. For a renowned killer, he seems a little soft.

"He doesn't look the part," Lilith says.

Spike hardly seemed scary or powerful, like he was just an overconfident guy and that was what got him what he wanted.

Lilith finds herself intrigued. She wants to pick him apart, figure out how someone like him could've killed a slayer. After all, many deemed it an impossible thing.

She drops her cigarette and puts out the flame with her heel. Then, she approaches their table.

Without any formalities, she slides into their booth, hands clasped in front of her and a forced smile on her lips. "Can I just say how much of an admirer I am?"

       All vampires love flattery, Lilith tries to make hers seem convincing.

       Spike and his girlfriend, Drusilla, look at her, deciding if she's worth their time or not. They only ever divert their attention from each other to eat or kill.

       "The way you killed that slayer is all anyone talks about. I mean, what's next for you now?"

       As mocking as Lilith comes off, she is interested in knowing what's next for the pair, what exactly has brought them to the city of love.

       Dru looks at her, then back at Spike, a smile painting her lips. Her smile is unsettling and alluring at the same time. "Spike promised he will give me Paris."

Spike reaches for Dru's wrist and pulls her towards him. He looks into her eyes and smiles. Dru seems in awe of him. Spike cups her chin and leans in—as if for a kiss. "I said I was going to make Paris ours, baby."

Dru laughs darkly and kisses Spike.

It's the closest thing to love Lilith has seen and she is sickened by it. She averts her eyes, thinking anything a better sight than these two.