Dwight bit his lip.

"I suppose that's fine, Jake, if it's what you'd like to do," He replied, voice soft, "Just... Be careful, alright? We don't know what we're dealing with here."

Jake quirked a brow but nodded.

"Of course I'll be careful, Dwight. When am I not?" He asked, offering a reassuring smile to the man, and extending a hand to accept the bandages and antiseptic that Dwight had brought over to them.

Dwight smiled back, standing from where he was crouched.

"I just want you to be safe."

Claudette, the literal embodiment of an angel, had shown up sometime after Dwight had left Jake and Frank on their own.

Frank still hadn't woken up, but Jake had asked Claudette to bring over one of Jake's sweatshirts he'd stolen from a trial, and a blanket from his tent. Carefully, the two of them had placed the sweatshirt under Frank's head, and put the blanket on top of him.

Jake sat nearby as he waited for Frank to wake up, tracing simple patterns into the dirt with a stick he'd found.

After what felt like an eternity (but Jake was sure was only a few hours) Frank stirred.

And he lunged directly at Jake.

His movements were chaotic and frightened, Jake finding a likeness in Frank to the wild animals he'd encountered back home. Eyes wide with what Jake could only describe as absolute terror, probably with the realization of what was really happening to him.

Thankfully, without The Entity's help like he usually had, Jake was quickly able to pin Frank to the ground. His larger stature easily overpowered the still-delirious Frank, who had managed to re-split his lip open in his movements.

"I just! Want! To help you!" Jake found himself screaming down to the man underneath him. Frank stared up at him, breathing heavily and had presumably given up struggling.

He could hear the sound of Dwight's shoes coming up behind him, frantically sending dirt flying in every direction.

"Jake!"

Both Frank and Jake jerked their heads towards the sound of Dwight's voice.

"I've got this, Dwight, it's okay," Jake grumbled, turning back to face Frank.

Dwight's face looked pale, gaze lingering on the two men. Jake noticed he was biting his lip and gripping his wrist so hard his hand looked like it was turning red.

"Dwight! It's fine, I promise!" Jake called to him, trying his best to keep his cool. He stared down at Frank, reaching over to grab the disinfectant to show him the bottle, "Chill out, man. I just wanna help you mend the cut on your face so it doesn't get infected."

Frank's brows knit together in annoyance, but Jake felt Frank relax under his grip, "Who the fuck said I wanted you to help me?"

Jake rolled his eyes at Frank's tone- involuntary, but it was already done so there wasn't much he could do about it now. Besides, Frank had attacked him, it wasn't like it wasn't unwarranted, especially when he was, although understandably, being an asshole.

"You're gonna learn real quick around here, helping each other is just what we do," Jake said, carefully letting go of Frank's wrists and getting off of him, "You can do it yourself if you want, but good luck finding a mirror anywhere."

Frank sat up, grabbing the sweatshirt that he'd been resting on and carefully folding it into a perfect square.

"Fine, you can do it, whatever," He huffed, gaze looking off in a direction that Jake couldn't find.