Chapter 1

Preeti's POV

I woke up in a dark room, a cool breeze drifted in making me pull my blanket up to my chin. I once again forgot to close the window. I patted my bedside table and found my phone. 5 minutes before 6. As usual, I woke before the alarm. I turned off the alarm and closed my eyes, listening to the soft snoring beside me. I don't remember when I started this habit of listening to Ankush. Maybe it was a few months after our marriage. At first, I couldn't sleep. No matter what I did. No matter how late I slept, I just could not sleep. Then, one day, I heard something. Soft breaths. I listened to his breathing and before I knew it, I'd fallen asleep. So, it had unknowingly become my habit, to listen to him.

A few minutes later, I woke up and closed the window. Winter was at the door, days were okay but morning and nights were chilly. I took out fresh clothes from the closet and started my day.

A half an hour later, I was in the kitchen. As usual, mom was already there.

"Good morning" she smiled, wide and bright.

"Good morning, mom." I loved her smile. As far as I knew, in-laws were always to be feared of. If you wanted to live peacefully, just obey your mother-in-law. Which was exactly what I did when I first came to this house. Slowly, I realized how wrong I had been. They were not perfect, who is anyway, but they were good people. They knew when they had to compromise, and when to put their foot down. Maybe that was why the 3 siblings were at peace with each other.

"It's so cold today. I hate winter. " She complained, taking ingredients out of the refrigerator for breakfast.

"I know, right. I forgot to close my window today. It was chilly." I rummaged the lower cabinet for sugar for tea.

"Maybe we should take out winter clothes this Saturday." She thought out loud.

"Looks like it. Maybe cardigan for morning and evenings." I added tea leaves to the boiling water.

"Good morning." Dad came in, rubbing his hands together.

"Good morning" Mom and I said in unison.

"So chilly. I hate winter." I laughed. If there was anything that could make me believe in soulmates, it was their relationship. Despite being married for 30 years, they looked like they were still in love. You know, the movie-kind. That was their relationship. They were so in tune with each other. If mom ever went anywhere for more than 2 days, dad would get anxious and start complaining. It was cute, to be honest.

"Here, your tea" I handed him and mom a cup of tea. It was just the 2 of them who had black tea in the morning. Shreya and I had milk tea and Ankush and Shivam had coffee. Since everyone's taste was so different, the morning was always a little chaotic. I boiled the water again for me and Shreya. I knew she was going to wake up anytime now.

"Ahh, so cold."

See, I told you. 3 years was enough time to know your new family.

Really? What about your husband?

Pushing the thought away, I turned to see Shreya in a jacket that looked twice as big on her. Being the youngest, she was a little pampered and was known to take her brothers' clothes. Neither of them minded though. None of us did.

I turned my attention to the dough mom had taken out. I quickly mixed the dough as Shreya poured the tea for both of us. And knowing when her brothers would wake up, she started on their coffee. Despite being a bit busy until everyone went their way, I liked morning the most. Everyone gathered here, talking about their day, their schedules, and nothing in particular.

"Morning." I heard a quiet voice.

Shivam was the quiet sibling. At first, I wondered if he was struggling with something, but later realized, it was just his nature. Silent, quiet, caring, sensitive. He was a lot like me. Maybe that was why I had a soft corner for him.

Shreya was loud. Not in an annoying way, but none of the others could get an inch-wise when she talked. She was bubbly, loud, always happy, and by always, I mean always. And Ankush, he-I didn't have a full grasp on his personality. But from little I observed, he seldom smiled. Like Shivam, he was quiet, but unlike him, he was sometimes rude, usually spoke in grunts with me and I could never understand what was going on inside that mind. It was such a contrast to 3 years earlier Shivam. I guess being with the right person was really important.

I didn't mind that much. I knew what my married life was going to be when I first talked to him, and yet I agreed. I chose this life.

Yeah, serves me right for being a sucker for my family's happiness. God, I was pathetic.

"Morning." A voice bellowed, causing a shiver down my spine.

"Morning" Everyone greeted in unison, except me. Never me.

"Is that my jacket?"

"Yes," My lips curved upwards. Shreya knew she was a brat and she could get away with anything she wanted.

I heard dad chuckle. Shivam got up to get coffee for both him and his brother. Mom and Shreya got up to help me, while the others chattered. Shivam helped during dinner time. He loved cooking, which was why he was often found in the kitchen. Honestly, all the men in the house helped except Ankush. In the beginning, I got a little irritated at him acting like a king but then quickly found out why no one complained about his absence in the kitchen. That guy, he burnt water. Yes, water.

Once, I was busy doing laundry, Shreya was out and mom was sick. Since I didn't hear her calling me, she called Ankush and asked him to give her hot water. There was none, so, he boiled. He didn't even know we had an electric jug. After a while, I smelled something burning. Since I hadn't had anything on in the kitchen, I ignored it thinking it might be at the neighbors. But the smell got stronger and stronger. Following the smell, I reached the kitchen and was horrified to find smoke all over. Quickly turning off the gas, I opened all the windows and fanned out the smoke. Mom might have smelled it too because she came in huffing.

"What happened?" she asked, wide-eyed.

"I have no idea." I looked at the black pot and peered inside. I didn't see anything.

Ankush came strolling and stopped at the sight of us.

"Did you burn down my kitchen?" Mom glared at him. She was a sweetheart but turned into, um, not so sweet when she was sick.

"Uh," he alternated between her and the pot and said, "Sorry."

Mom watched in disbelief as he spun on his heels and walked out.

Anyway, as usual, the morning routine continued. We had breakfast among the happy chatters of the family. Despite my situation with Ankush, I liked it. I loved these people. As someone who always counted her blessings more than her curses, I was grateful for having such sweet in-laws, a little sister who loved me, and a little brother who silently took care of me.

Keeping aside all my sorrows, I was happy. 

Here we go, we've officially started the story. Do let me know if you are ready for the ride.

Stay safe, stay healthy, stay happy