Chapter 18: Troubled Marriage

"...there is a reason why storms
are named after people..."

N

ick's POV
I have been sitting in my car for almost an hour. I'm yet to confront what is waiting for me in the house. My ex wife. She's back and according to my housekeeper Lupe, she arrived with enough bags of clothing to dress an entire town. Why now? Why now when my finalizing our divorce and pursuing Kei? What does she want?

She's like a nightmare I'll never wake up from.

I cursed quietly when I saw her standing at my doorstep. She's smocking a cigarette.

Could this evening be any worse?

"Who won?"

"What are you taking about?"

"I'm talking about the fight between you and Cole. Who won?"

"I don't see how it's any of your business."

I walked past her. Like the dark plague she is, she followed me. "It is my business!" Her steps are quickening. I hate how she wears shoes in my house. "You are still my husband and brawling over another woman is disrespectful!"

I stopped suddenly to look into the ferocious dark Brown eyes. "Why don't you crawl back to the hell you came from?"

"Who is she Nickolas!" She yelled after me.

I continued walking knowing very well the perfect way to handle her. I just need to ignore her and keep my calm. Maybe then, she will go away.

But that calm kind of eroded when something sharp hit my back.

I stopped walking and slowly turned to see her six inch heel on the floor.

Dropping my back pack on the floor, I tucked my hands into the pockets of my pants as some sort of restraint measure.

"Well?"

"Margaux this is my house. My freaking house and I will not tolerate your insolence. I will come and go as I please. I will do as I please. Piss off!"

"It's my house too!"

"You lost your place here when you packed up and left. So stop demanding what you gave up. I'm tired and I'm going to bed. Please leave."

When I turned she threw her other heel at me this time hitting the back of my head. It took all I had for me not to rush over to her, grab her by the neck and squeeze the life out of her. I counted to ten as quietly as I could and that's how I managed to make it to my bedroom.

But what I thought would be my personal fortress of solitude turned out to be a disaster zone with shattered photograph frames, broken lamps, ripped pillows, torn bed sheets and basically my clothes sprawled all over on the floor. My perfectly neat bedroom is a mess. The words "cheating bastard" are boldly written on the white wall with the shade of lipstick she wears.

My trusted housekeeper is down on the floor picking up shattered pieces of glass. Another maid is scrubbing the wall.

"Lupe, what happened?"

"Signor, she went loco and came in here with a golf club. She started smashing and breaking everything and I was too scared to stop her. I'm sorry, but I'll clean this up."

"It's okay, I'd rather you stay with Madeline tonight. Make sure she's okay. I'll clean this mess up.

She agreed with me and right after she and the other maid left, I slowly started cleaning my room. After a long day of work I had hoped I would come home to my daughter and some peace of mind. It's a steady routine. Instead it is a deranged woman and a room that looks like a tornado has swept through.