Chapter 44

{Jack's POV}

       The dictionary described the term "humidity" as the amount of moisture in the air.

       Jack, however, described it as his worst enemy on a hot day.

       He and [Name] were currently sprawled across the couch and armchair in the living room, neither of them moving. Earlier they'd foolishly tried to go to the clearing to continue working on the dummies, which turned out to be a bad idea. Ultimately it resulted in them both returning to the comfort of the air-conditioned cabin after ten minutes of inhaling heat instead of actually breathing. Since then they'd entered a state of pure lethargy as they attempted to recover from the heat.

       For once he'd ditched his trademark black hoodie, even changed his t-shirt because the other one was so damp with sweat. [Name] also changed her clothes, and he enviously eyed her shorts and [f/c] v-neck top. For once, he wished she wasn't there. Not because he was mad at her or anything, but because of his stupid self-consciousness about his skin. Were he alone, he'd lounge around in his boxers and a tank top, but nope, she was there with him. And he didn't want to show off any more of his stupid gray skin than he had to, so he was stuck in a navy t-shirt and black sweatpants. Just showing his arms took a lot of determination.

       He gave a small sigh at the thought. Recently she'd claimed his face didn't scare her, but was that true? He didn't know for sure, and because of that he still had to wear his stupid mask, too. It wasn't exactly a very "breathable" material, it just made his face even hotter. Growling slightly to himself, he got off the armchair, ignoring the curious glance [Name] cast him as he stalked to his room. Closing the door, he removed the mask and took several deep breaths, flopping onto the bed as he waited for the heat to leave his face.

       Heat. How could ANYONE function in heat? And why did it have to be so humid!? Was it going to rain soon? He hoped not, [Name]'s window was still broken and boarded up after all. If it did rain, he'd let her take the bed and sleep on the lumpy couch. He'd promised to take responsibility for the broken window, and he meant it. At this rate, though, he might have to do it even if it didn't rain, because the heat was so ridiculous and her room would be too hot. Sighing, he rolled his head to the side, closing his hollow eyes. So hot... so warm... so... sleepy...

{Reader's POV}

       Since coming to Jack's cabin most of my time has been spent cooped up inside, usually due to a mixture of fear and being chained to a freaking bed. Back then I'd sworn to myself multiple times that if I ever got a chance to go outside, I would take every one. Now I found that self-promise to be absolutely idiotic and stupid.

       I sighed as I draped myself over the armchair, wearing the airiest v-neck I owned and still tugging on the collar. One of Buddy's friends had once told me she preferred the cold over heat, because when it's cold you can just put on extra layers of clothes. When it's warm, though, you can't take off skin. Never have I appreciated that sentiment more. Part of me also wondered if she remembered me, or if she was one of the people who apparently forgot I existed.

       As I thought about it, my head rolled over to the side, staring in the general direction of the kitchen table. Though the back of the couch blocked my view, I knew my laptop was there, closed and fully charged. It'd been a while since I thought about it. Even now, it still had all those photos and that video of Jack's torture hidden in Buddy's account. Part of me beat myself up for not thinking about it when Jack was out hunting, but I'd been so excited to know he trusted me that it had totally slipped my mind.