Jealous of Junior

It had all gone downhill so quickly.

Everything was perfect, in a way. The Koopalings finally had some fatherly love and attention, and a future. After all their misery, they had finally lucked into a good life. Ludwig was all set to be King, and Wendy, the crown princess, ready to be Queen when he came to the throne. They had it all planned, Roy would be Chief of the Army, Morton would be Head of the Royal Guard, Larry would be the State Treasurer, Lemmy could be the entertainer he's always dreamed of being and Iggy would have the materials and money to build to his heart's delight.

That all changed with the arrival of Bowser Jr. Suddenly, the Koopalings were shunted aside as all the affection and love was showered on Junior instead.

Wendy's prospects of being Queen shattered, destined to forever be an adopted princess who nobody remembers. Roy and Morton knew that their combat skills would never be put to use now, as Junior would never choose his siblings to defend the Kingdom, believing them to be too headstrong and reckless. If the former two had no chance with their planned positions, Larry quickly lost hope in securing the place of Treasurer, becoming as unimportant as ever. Iggy, far from gaining extra materials, was actually given less to invent with, even having to use scraps at times, his grander plans never coming to fruition. Even Lemmy knew that all eyes would be on Junior from now on, his impressive tricks going unnoticed, trying and failing to not lose heart.

But nobody was as disheartened as Ludwig. His chance at being King was snatched away at the arrival of some brat. It wasn't fair. Ludwig was older, stronger, more intelligent, more accomplished at magic and had been trained to be King since the day he was adopted. To suddenly be pushed aside like nothing, like he had served his purpose, was agonising. A filler, that's all he was. A filler Crown Prince, to give the illusion that the Kingdom had a designated ruler should Bowser be out of the picture, until Bowser got an actual heir.

They all remember the day they got the news, the news that changed their future forever.

———————————————————————————————————-—————————————-

"Kids, I want you all to say hello to the newest member of our family." Bowser held out the bundle of cloth, inside which a small Dragon-Koopa was squirming. The Koopalings abruptly stopped whatever they were doing, their smiles frozen on their shocked faces.

They all came forward to look at the hatchling, disbelief and dread etched in every corner of their expressions. Ludwig spoke first, laughing nervously as he stared up into Bowser's face. "Who-Who is this, father?" He asked, trying to keep hie voice calm.

"This is Bowser Junior." Grinned Bowser. "My son." The Koopalings fears were confirmed. An heir. Bowser's TRUE family. Larry and Morton's smiles slowly dropped, replaced with shock. Roy's mouth hung open as he gaped at Junior, totally still. Iggy laughed anxiously to himself, even though nothing was really funny. Lemmy tried to look happy, but his eyes gave away his inner sadness. Wendy's face was contorted into it's tantrum style, her lips pursed and a tick twitching on her head.

Ludwig seemed to take it worst of all. Realisation dawned on him as his chances of being King slipped away from him. He glared down at Junior with something remarkably like hatred, his previously smiling face replaced by an ugly scowl. "Excuse me, 'father', I have something to attend to." He said, through clenched fangs.

Bowser looked bewildered. "But, don't you want to see your baby brother?" He asked, a little crestfallen. Ludwig regarded his father frostily.

"He will still be here when I return, won't he? I'm afraid this can't wait." Ludwig turned around and marched through the doors. Wendy could feel her temper boil over and stormed out behind him before she exploded at the King. Iggy and Roy gave Bowser a stiff bow before following suit. Bowser looked confused.