22: Like a Dream

Começar do início

The problem quickly went from finding Dio's mansion to getting inside it. The walls surrounding the terra cotta building were high and the only entrance was a large, solid metal gate that practically screamed 'stay out!'

If I went in, I wasn't sure how far I'd make it. Hol Horse hadn't encountered security measures on his visit― perks of being one of Dio's lackeys― so I had no idea what awaited me inside. I was certain Dio would have guards of some sort. He probably kept the best and most trusted ones near him, which made my job extremely difficult.

I stared at the metal gate. What a shame . . . I was so close, but I was almost certain that opening the gate would be a big mistake. I would definitely have to fight if I entered, but I couldn't afford to endanger my host body. If I died now, there was no telling who I'd become and whether I'd be able to reach Dio before the Joestars.

"Miss?"

I nearly jumped out of my skin at the voice and whirled around. There was a tall man standing behind me. A bit of brown hair was peeking out of the tall green headwrap he was wearing. A V-line of green bars was tattooed on his forehead, between his eyebrows, and down his nose with a separate circle on his chin. His earrings were large and made of gold, shaping the letters 'TD'― his initials? If I'd noticed anything about Dio's henchmen, it was that most of the men seemed to have large, muscular statures. This man was no exception. That was a good sign, right?

"Hello," I greeted him calmly despite the sudden increase in my heart rate. He hadn't made a single sound before speaking and that unnerved me.

"Greetings," he said. "I am a humble butler of the mansion you've been staring at. Terrence D'Arby is the name. My master asked me to bring you inside."

". . . What?" I asked, stupefied.

"My master noticed you standing here and wished to see what you wanted," Terrence elaborated. That didn't help my confusion much.

"So he's okay with letting a stranger into his home?"

"Of course. It's completely safe, I assure you."

That's such a serial killer line. Under normal circumstances, I would have refused and walked away. But these were desperate times and I really did need to get into the mansion.

I frowned. "What's your master's name?"

Terrence cocked his head to the side. "He asked me not to tell you."

I laughed. "Really? How interesting . . . Lead the way," I said. And he did.

I thought he would take me in through wherever he'd come out of, but instead, the metal gate opened for him like the jaw of a monster. The bottom of the gate was spiked, making it extra solid when it was closed. Terrence walked right in, but I hesitated before crossing the threshold. It felt like I was going to be swallowed up, maybe like the gate would slam down like a guillotine, but nothing happened. Terrence lowered the gate after me and I took a quick look around. There was absolutely nothing of note.

"Nice place. No guards?" I asked.

Terrence didn't respond. The place was dark, lit only by the candle that my companion had picked up at the entrance. We walked up two flights of stairs before he stopped to knock on one of the doors.

A voice responded from inside. "Enter." It was a command. My heart jumped at the familiar voice.

The butler opened the door, but stepped aside so I could enter. I swallowed my nerves and stepped into the room. The air in the room was dense and chilling, making it difficult to breathe. But what made it even more difficult was seeing Dio in front of me once more. He was laying in bed, drinking a glass of what I assumed was blood. It was hard to see when the room was so dark, but I could tell he was relaxed, oozing confidence and power. He'd become one with the shadows of the room. His presence seemed to loom over me from every direction. I hated it.