[ ch. 2 stone fox ]

Start from the beginning

A smirk spreads across Bucky's lips as he stands quickly, "Stevie, how ya doing?" The pair wrap their arms around each other in a quick embrace and then sit down on the bench, exchanging a quick nod and look back toward the view of people pacing by too quickly. Bucky had always looked to Steve more than anyone else, his closest confidant and the reason for his impressive status.

Steve looks over at his friend, "ya look good Buck, how's Beccs?"

Bucky smiled genuinely, which was rare. "She's really happy, the jewelry had taken a lot of stress off of her, snow not being her favorite piece of our business now that she's pregnant."

Steve beamed, "congratulations Uncle Bucky." He pat his friend on the shoulder, "glad she's good, she deserves it and Paul seems decent." Bucky nodded, "decent is a fine way to put it."

Steve added, "and business with them?"

Bucky looked over at his friend with a slight glare, "she's being a pain, but they're thriving again since we started with the stones, the salt really is the greatest cover. But jewelry and diamonds, have been a lucrative shift so far."

Steve nodded, "how's Mick been doing? He isn't the easiest man to be around but the putz always comes through with good stuff."

Bucky scoffed, "Finch is a pain in my ass. He's a weasel, but he does get the best stuff." Bucky looked up at the palm trees and took in a large breath of sweet California air. "Say, did you know he had a daughter?"

Steve perked up, shaking his head with a small chuckled breath. "No, but leave it to him to have a secret family."

Bucky let out a laugh, "he created a new life here in America to hide and thinks we don't know who he was. Of course the dude has a stone fox for a daughter too."

Steve chuckled and turned toward his friend who looked deep in thought, "and you're going to use her to make a point?"

The raven haired boss smirked wickedly, "she slapped me before I even had her name, you have no idea what I want to do with her."

His blonde friend chuckled, "yeah, buddy, I think I have an idea."

The two hummed a breath before Steve looked at Bucky more seriously, "do you have the diamonds?" Bucky nods once and slips a small velvet bag into Steve's hand. As his friend feels within the small pouch. Bucky adds, "Wilson did a three time check, they're perfect, the man really does deliver."

Steve slid the bag into his pocket with a smirk, "if only he'd shut his mouth. I like Wilson when he doesn't talk too." Steve joked as Bucky agreed with a laugh, "you and I both."

With a nod, Bucky turns back toward the view before them, "one of these days, I'll cut Mick's tongue out-" they both laugh before Steve pats his friend's chest. "I need him for business and so do you."

They agreed as they both pulled out cigarettes and placed them between their lips after wetting the tip, lighting them before deep inhales. Their movements nearly in sync as they breath.

"Business has never been better, Buck, whatever you're doing, keep it up." Bucky smirked proudly at his friend, "thanks, I have big plans for life here." Steve nodded, "I know, Bucky, and I'll make sure America gets you there...however I can help."

Steve's family's been in the mafia life for a century, he knew talent and ability. He was raised among the best of New York. His mother was the daughter of the ruthless, Umberto "Albert" Anastasia, an Italian-American mobster who was so feared he earned the name 'earthquake' for the way he shook people to their core. Steve remembers the stories his grandfather told him until he passed away, Steve sitting at his side. The man let go and took his last breath after sharing he's handed Steve some reign of power at just thirteen years old alongside his Uncle. So, though Barnes had a year on Rogers in age, he looked up to Steve in ways that most didn't understand, it's more than a life saved, it's a life changed. Bucky feels indebted to Steve for what he's given him in opening his eyes to what life can look like with the right allies and drive. That day in the autumn of Romania, Steve helped Bucky feel connected to his life again, and he still does it often.